The Fight

Well jeez, sorry to crush your heart like this... I may do a part two of this. Let me know what you think. I feel like it may end a bit abruptly, but I'd love some opinions please. Have a lovely day! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Simon's POV

"This is exactly like you! Always playing the victim... I'm seriously getting sick of it!"

I feel as if I've just been punched in the chest. It's as if he's just ripped out my heart and stomped on it. A fresh set of tears begin to stream down my face over top of the dried ones from earlier. I have to get out of here. Shoving past Baz, I fling the door to the apartment open and sprint down the hallway. Outside, I aimlessly pace up and down the streets, wiping at my tears with my sleeves. I can't believe that he'd say something like that to me. He knows. He knows what I lost. After a few blocks, I hear him running up behind me.

"Simon! Simon, stop! Please, I'm sorry!"

I don't stop until he grabs a hold of my shoulder. I turn around to see puffed eyes and trails running down his face. I bite my lip in a desperate attempt to ward off the tears, but it's no use.

"How could you say that to me?" I say, my voice strained and cracked.

"I'm sorry," He tries to grab my wrist, but I pull away bitterly.

"So, what? Am I not enough for you?" I ask resentfully.

"What? Simon, listen-"

"No. You listen. I always play the victim? You ever think about why? I lost everything Baz! My one shot at having a family, the place that I called home... my magic. All that I'm left with is you. And I really thought that that was enough for me. But maybe I was dead wrong." I turn in the other direction and skulk away.

"Simon!" Baz runs up beside me and falls in to step with me. I don't slow down. "Simon, I am so sorry. I was way out of line. You have every right to play the victim. I was just frustrated!" I stop in my tracks.

"So how many times will it take for you to be "just frustrated" that more truths come out? How many times until you accidentally reveal that you don't actually love me and that you just took pity on me? Baz, if the only time that you're completely honest with me is when you're frustrated then there's a problem here. That's not healthy. For either of us." I reach up and brush my wet cheek with my sweater sleeve.

"Do you hear yourself right now?" He narrows his eyes at me. "Who do you think I am? Some kind of monster? I could never just pretend to love you, Simon. I don't think it's humanly possible to just fake this kind of love... But maybe I do need to work on being more honest with you. It's just... hard. Because, Simon, I do know everything you've been through. I really do. And that's what makes it so difficult to be honest with you. I can't stand to cause you more hurt. Keeping it bottled up for this long just got to me this time and I took it out in the wrong way. I never should have yelled at you or phrased it in the way that I did. I'm truly, deeply, honestly, sorry. Please, please, forgive me," He steps forward and grabs my hand before I can stop him.

I can't say anything through the new bout of tears flowing out of my eyes. I look down at the pavement, watching as the droplets fall off of my nose and dot the gray cement. I feel Baz's hand gently lifting up my chin.

"Hey. I rely on you too much for this to just... end. I need you too much, Simon. I can't let something this stupid end something so amazing. I made a mistake," We stand in silence for a few moments before he continues. "I don't know what else to say. Please just say something. Anything to let me know that you're at least a little bit okay."

"Um..." I finally choke out. "Could you just go home? I want to be alone for a while... I have to think about some stuff."

"I don't know if that's the best-" I raise my hand, cutting him off.

"I'm fine. Really. I just need some space."

He nods now, pursing his lips. That's what he does when he's trying not to cry. I can see as he turns to walk away that it doesn't work this time. I watch him walk away only for a few seconds before turning in the opposite direction and setting off. I think about a lot of things as I walk around the city. I think about all of the things that Baz said back in the apartment. I think about all of the things that he said in his defense. The one thought that never enters my mind is not going back.

Baz's POV

Simon doesn't come back in to the apartment for a solid hour and a half. He sulks in to the living room where I'm sitting on the couch. He's drooping, like he's physically exhausted. I hug a couch cushion close to my chest as he flops down next to me.

"Hi," I whisper. He flashes a sad grin in my direction. "You okay?" I ask. Stupid question. But I don't know what else to say. Simon shrugs.

"I think so." He mutters. "But maybe things don't have to be okay. At least for right now. I don't have any doubt that we're going to get through this... I never did, really."

"So... we're going to be okay?" I ask, hopefully.

"Yeah," He whispers. "We will."

These are the last words uttered from either of us before we both fall asleep, sprawled on the couch. Things may not be perfect right now, but soon enough, I just know that we'll be okay.