The Ocean

Hi. :)

So basically, I keep getting ideas for fics, but when I write them I decide they're not good enough and then they sit in my word doc for weeks without me doing anything with it. Here's one of those. I have a few more that might get uploaded relatively soon. Thanks for sticking around even though I don't upload that often anymore. <33

(Also, I've uploaded a phanfiction if you're interested. It's five chapters total and I just uploaded the last one. Enjoy!)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Simon, will you please move your feet?" Baz grumbles, pulling Simon by the wrist through the sand. "It would make this a whole lot easier."

Simon groans loudly and pulls Baz to a stop.

"Wait, wait, wait, Baz. Just wait a second."

"Wait for what?" Baz asks impatiently.

"Look, you know I'm terrified of the ocean. Why are you making me do this?" The boy whines, running his fingers through his golden curls.

Baz is quick to respond, brushing off the burning desire to fix Simon's mussed up ringlets.

"Because, Simon, it'll be fun. Listen, I'm going to be blunt with you. The ocean is really only dangerous in the extreme case that you're literally dumped in the middle of it. Going three feet from the edge and bobbing a little bit is in no way dangerous. Literally the worst thing that could happen is that you may step on something vaguely pointy. You'll be fine." He begins pulling on the reluctant boy's wrist again.

"But Baz." Simon says with hesitancy. "Why do we so carelessly swim in this fucking huge body of water-" He motions vaguely to the water. "When there are COUNTLESS unknown species hiding in it that could potentially kill us without a second thought? Go ahead; name three unknown species in the ocean."

Baz stares at him in disbelief before speaking. A slight smile almost flickers on his face before answering.

"...Simon, I don't have an answer for you. Think about what you just said."

Simon groans once more, utterly defeated by Baz's retort, but starts to move his legs anyway and follows closely behind his boyfriend. It takes the two quite a while to reach the fine line between the dry and wet sand. When they do, Simon only dares to stand just over it, but not any farther. Baz stands in front of him, arms crossed in annoyance. When the tide just brushes the two boy's feet, Simon nearly shrieks and jumps backwards, but Baz stops him.

"Are you actually kidding me? You're not even in, Simon. It's just water. Come on." He pulls on his wrist again.

A terrified Simon follows begrudgingly, breathing sporadically and heavily. Baz stops about two feet in from the line, not wanting to take his quivering boyfriend too far too quickly. A tiny wave makes its way forward, eventually slapping the two in the legs with a tiny crash. Simon gasps, clutching one hand to Baz's arm and wrapping his other quaking arm around his boyfriend's bare back.

"Baz, I-"

"Shush, Simon." Baz cuts him off. "Just stop worrying and feel it for a second."

Simon does as he's told. The undertow comes in moments, causing Simon's grip on Baz to tighten even further. Baz strokes his boyfriend's arm lovingly. As the squishy sand is displaced beneath their feet, everything rushing out from under them, Simon gasps again, but this time in fascination. They stand there for three more waves, letting the water wash over their calves and quickly hurry away when it's finished. Finally, Baz grabs hold of one of Simon's hands and takes tiny steps further in to the crystal blue water. Simon lets him without a fight this time. They edge forward until they're up to their waists, the water just brushing their bare stomachs. They've reached the point now where the waves are only swells, gently floating their feet from the sand for only moments as it passes through to disperse at the edge. There's something peacefully chaotic about the rhythm of the waves that neither of them could even try to describe the beauty of.

"Baz?" Simon's voice breaks through the passive silence.

"Yeah, love?" Baz asks, swelling with pride. It's obvious that Simon loves it.

"Babe, I hate when you're right, but you were definitely right about this one." Simon gulps, his glassy eyes finally meeting his boyfriend's. "Nothing scary about this."

Baz gives Simon's hand a tight squeeze.

"I knew you'd love it."