Milestones

Friends!! I'm so sorry! Life got super busy. And whenever I had some time to write, it just wasn't working for me. It took me a really long time to come up with something decent enough to post, so I hope you enjoy. Some new content from me may be coming soon (as in, not fanfiction). Thanks for reading and sorry for the long wait. <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon's POV

"Ugh," I groan as I collapse in to the empty bed. Gazing at the other side, my eyes glaze over. Not only am I utterly defeated by this day, but on top of that, I don't even have Baz here to hold me. I roll over to his side of the bed, stuffing my face in to his pillow and inhaling his heavenly scent. Flipping off the lamp beside me, I can already feel my eyes fluttering closed. I just want this day to be over. Baz's pillow squishes in my embrace. Just as everything fades to black, I feel a square lump stuck in Baz's pillowcase. Curiously, I pull it out. It's a moleskin journal. A twinge of common sense flickers through my body, almost forcing me to put the journal back. But... Whatever it is can't be too bad. The Baz that I love doesn't keep secrets from me. Shit. I have to open it, don't I? I take one final glance around the room, not too sure what I'm searching for. The cover flips open. A single word consumes the entire first page.

Milestones.

Nothing else. Written so simply and plainly in Baz's unmistakable calligraphy. My hand quivering ever so slightly, I turn the page. It feels inexplicably heavy. The second page is filled with inked words. The heading at the top reads "The Kiss." The page reads an explicitly detailed retelling of Baz's and my first kiss. I nearly tear up at the memory. He talks about me like I'm... something utterly amazing. It's as if I'm some kind of wonder of the world in his eyes. The final line is what makes it dawn on me.

"Even though I'm taking quite a leap by starting this journal now, not knowing how this will progress, I have a good feeling about it. I'm quite certain that this will be the first of many, many milestones."

Oh. Biting back tears the entire time, I thumb through the rest of the pages. Each one contains a different defining moment in our relationship. My heart swells with validation and joy. Finally reaching the final page that has been filled out, I nearly gasp. The date is just this morning.

I had to leave him for the first time today. I mean, long term. It hurts. Bad enough to know that this is something incredibly special. I think that's a good sign.

Well Snow, I guess I really can't keep anything hidden from you for too long. This is assuming that you found the book of course. But somehow I know you did... Goodnight, Snow. I miss you more than words can describe. Get some rest. I'm thinking of you.

With love,

Baz.

I lose track of how many times I reread the note. After wiping at my tear stained face with my jumper sleeve, I reach for my phone on the nightstand, typing quickly.

To: Baz

How'd you know?

It takes mere moments for a response to pop up on my screen.

To: Simon

Just a good feeling.

A few silent seconds pass.

To: Simon

Get some rest, love.

To: Baz

Okay. Goodnight, Baz. I miss you.

To: Simon

I know.

Everything fades away. Well, except for the smile on my face. I'm sure that that won't be going anywhere for quite some time.