The Broken Elevator

Hello! Have a fic in which Simon and Baz get stuck in a broken elevator. Enjoy. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Baz's POV

The lights shut off. The elevator suddenly jerks, causing Simon and I to both lose our balance and clutch each other for stability. It dawns on me what's just happened. My stomach immediately drops to the ground.

Simon's POV

I groan and mutter, "That's just great."

I do a double take when I first look at Baz. His face is somehow paler than usual and his eyes are bulging impossibly large. He places a hand on his chest and breathes unsteadily.

"...Hey." I touch his shoulder. "Hey, are you okay?" I feel my heart quicken, simply for him.

Baz only stutters and spits out gibberish at me, his breathing still staggered and struggled.

"Baz," I say, making an effort to make my voice sound strong for him. "What's wrong? You're scaring me."

He slides down on the wall until he reaches the floor, where he sits down and pulls his legs up to his chest. As he hides his face in his arms, I kneel down on the floor in front of him and gulp, my stomach turning.

"I- I just, uh," Baz's voice is so quiet and broken between breaths that I can barely understand him. "I dunno if I, um, if I ever told you this... but I'm just a little bit, uh," his voice catches. "Cl-claustrophobic."

"Oh." I take a shaky deep breath. "Well, um, what do I...what do you want me to do?" I put my quaking hand on his back and rub up and down.

"I just need some space..." His voice cracks several times. I quickly retract my hand from his back and shift to sit cross legged across from him.

"S-sorry. I shouldn't have touched you." I silently curse myself for making it worse.

"No, no. You didn't, um, you didn't know," He murmurs, his face still buried in his arms. "Tell me a story or something...please."

I grin slightly and say, "Yeah, yeah, of course I will."

My eyes glued to my unstable boyfriend, I begin to think about what story I could possibly tell. What's something that will make him happy?

"Um...okay, think about our first date." I jump right in. "I was so nervous. Penny had to help me get dressed because I was shaking so bad. I almost cancelled... Geez, am I glad I didn't do that. The moment I saw you, all of my worries just kind of melted away. You were in my favorite of your suits. The black one with the red trim on the jacket... you know the one I'm sure." I glance up to see his gentle eyes peering up at me from behind his arms. "I opened the door when you knocked and you were wringing your hands. I'd never seen you look so...unsure. You had always shown me such confidence that I didn't really know what to do with it. It was your nervousness that made me sure that everything was okay. And that it was supposed to be this way. You and I were made for each other. That's when I first realized that." His chin is propped up on his arms now, his puffy eyes staring straight at me. "You were such a gentleman the entire night. You held my hand and opened all of the doors for me. Every time you touched me, my heart leapt in to my throat. And then, at the end of the night, we walked back to my apartment together, hand in hand. I knew it was coming. I knew it. We stopped walking and you turned to face me. You held both of my hands in yours. And then you leaned forward and you...you kissed me. It wasn't even the first time that we'd kissed. But somehow it still felt like fire. Like electricity and adrenaline. It was... it was magnificent. One of the best moments of my life. I think about it everyday."

For a few silent moments, all we do is gaze at each other. It isn't until now that I notice that my eyes are teary. Baz lift his head up now, never breaking eye contact. He mouths a hushed, "Thank you."

And then the lights flicker on.