April Fools' Day

Hey guys! So I actually really hate April Fools' day... It's just an excuse for people to be idiots and hurt other people. But it makes for good fic ideas so I can't complain. This one is an alternate story kind of thing in which Simon and Baz are not in a relationship yet. I'm actually quite happy with how it turned out. Happy Friday! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Baz's POV

"Hey, Baz."

"...Yes, Snow?" I feel a look of disgust take over my face. It's an automatic. Why is he talking to me anyway? I only glance up from my studying for a brief moment.

"So there's something that I've been meaning to tell you." He fidgets with his hands nervously. Though my mind is racing with all of the directions that this could go, I try my hardest to keep my cool.

"Okay, who's stopping you?" God, I'm such a prick.

"Uh... do you think that you could, like, actually look at me when I say this? Kinda a big deal." I shoot him a look now, my eyes narrowed. I'm more confused than anything. Hopeful, but more confused. I stand up to level with him.

"Okay. I'm standing now. Ready to get on with this yet, Snow?"

He ignores my rude tone and chokes out some stutters.

"Well, lately, I've been kind of feeling like I m-might, I don't know..." He pauses for a few moments, giving me time to let internal panic mode set it. What is he doing? Where is this going? Is he going to start fucking crying? I push away the sudden idea to just kiss him. I've gotten good at that.

"Alright, I'm just going to say it," He takes a shaky breath. Suddenly, I know what's coming. "Baz Pitch, I lo-"

And then my lips are on his. And then I'm fucking kissing him. I didn't even let him finish his sentence. He didn't have to. It takes him a few seconds to melt in to it, but when he does, it's magnificent. I feel an unfamiliar heat rise in my chest and my fingers and toes are tingling. Startling me, he pulls back, his hand flying up to cover his mouth. His eyes are widened and dewy, as I'm sure mine are as well. I'm frozen in place as Snow stands in front of me, desperately trying to piece together what in the hell just happened. Finally, finally, he tries to speak.

"Baz, it's – it was... Baz, it was a joke. It's fucking April Fools' Day or some shit like that... I thought that it would, um, be funny or something." He gulps, still touching his lip as if trying to assure himself that it's still there. That I didn't take it from him.

I feel my heart drop to the floor and the blood pounding in my head, intensely. Fuck. I really believed him... I thought that he loves me. I thought that everything, all of the shit that I've gone through had finally paid off. All of the secrecy and the suppression... for a few minutes, it was all for a reason. It had all been leading up to something. Something utterly mind-blowing.

"Baz?" His voice brings me back down to Earth. My eyes dart up to meet his. "Why did you just kiss me?"

I suddenly feel furious. An anger that I've never felt before is burning in my chest.

"Why did I kiss you?" My voice sounds shattered. "Maybe because you fucking TOLD me that you love me, Snow! Did that ever occur to you?" I notice now that I'm yelling at him. He draws back, cowering away from me.

"No..." He whispers. "No, why did you...really... do it?"

I find that I know what I have to do now. Nothing will ever be the same anyway. It's time. I take a baby step towards him. I don't dare to touch him.

"Snow, you may have been joking this whole time..." I clear my throat. "But I wasn't joking. For the first time since we met, I was being completely honest. With you, with myself, with everything. Not a shimmer of a lie or a joke here. Complete, bitter, honesty."

His hands finally drop from his mouth now. He simply stands there in defeat, white as a ghost and his eyes impossibly large.

"Oh," I wait for him to continue but he doesn't. He just breathes. In, out, in, out. All I can think about is how badly I want to kiss him again.

"Is that, like...okay?" I mumble, trying to get him to say something. Anything is better than this deafening silence.

"You know..." He mutters, his brow furrowing in confusion. "You know, Baz, I actually think that it is okay."

"Really?" I sliver of hope appears in my voice.

He nods and assuredly says, "Really."

And then he kisses me.