Baz's Surprise

I'm in love with this concept. That is all. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Baz's POV

My reflection's eyes are burning a hole in me. As I stare at myself in the bathroom mirror, I hardly recognize the person that I see. Nothing has really changed, but in a sense, everything has changed. I slowly lift up my shirt and turn to the side so I can see what I've just done to myself. Scrawled across my upper back in purple and black ink are the words, "On love's light wings." Despite that the calligraphy is literally right in front of my face, I still can't believe that I got a tattoo. I can feel my heart beating in every inch of my body. My parents are going to hate me. But then again, why the hell would I ever care what they think? No, what's really been eating at me through this whole experience is what Simon will think of it. If he doesn't like it, my world will literally crash to pieces. The notion that Simon may not like something about me is something that plagues me every single day of my life. Though he assures me everyday that he loves me, I still can't shake it. Especially now.

Startling me, there's a soft knock at the door. My immediate reaction is to yank my shirt down and hide the words that are inked in to my skin.

"Sweetie?" Simon's voice is weighed down by worry. "Are you okay? You've been in there for a while..."

"Oh, um, y-yeah! I'm fine. I'll be out in a minute, okay, love?" I stutter, panicked.

After a few moments of silence, I hear a gentle, "...okay..." through the door.

When I hear Simon shuffle away from the door, I turn back to the mirror and lift my shirt again. I take one last look at the writing on my back before turning and leaving the bathroom. As soon as I enter the living room, Simon practically attacks me.

"Hey, are you okay?" His brow is furrowed with concern.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Everything's fine." I'm assuring myself as much as I am him.

I grab his hand and lead him over to the sofa.

"Come on. Let's just... sit down," I say, quietly.

As soon as we sit down, Simon blurts out, "You're making me worry."

I can't help but chuckle. He's always been like this. Always looking out for other people. It's one of the things I love the most about him. But I also know that he's going to keep worrying until he knows exactly what's up. This is cruel. I have to tell him right now.

"Hey," I grab his hand. "Everything is fine. It really is. I just, um... did something today."

I quickly lose my courage and break eye contact.

"Baz. Please just be straight with me. Did you... I don't know." He sounds defeated. "Please just tell me what's going on. You know me, I'm not going to be able to eat or sleep until I know exactly what's wrong."

"Okay. Okay, I'm going to tell you." I take a deep breath. "Yes, I did something a bit eccentric today. But, Simon, it means a lot to me. It makes me happy and, um..." Rip the bandaid off, Basilton. Wrap it up. "I got a tattoo." My words get jumbled around as I speak speedily.

Simon raises his eyebrows at me, his eyes impossibly large.

"You, um," He lets his mouth hang open for a few seconds before continuing. "Y-you got a... tattoo?"

I shake my head up and down so slightly that I'm not entirely sure if he's seen it.

"Si, it means so much to me. This was one of the few times in my life when I just had to tell myself to fuck what everybody else thinks. Because I wanted to do this for myself and, well, sometimes that's all that matters." I've never spoken to anyone like that before, let alone my boyfriend.

"Can I, uh," Simon's bulging eyes refuse to look at me in the face. "Can I see it?" He's impossible to read right now. I can't tell if he's shocked, disgusted, or somewhere in between.

I slowly shift my body around and murmur, "Yeah, 'course you can."

As soon as I lift up my shirt, I hear a slight gasp erupt from my boyfriend. After several moments, I can feel his fingers gently graze over the tender area on my back. I try my hardest not to wince in pain. When nothing has been said or done for a good ten seconds, I unhurriedly pull my shirt down and turn to face Simon again. His mouth agape and eyes finally looking in to mine, I'm on the edge of my seat as I wait to see what he does. To my greatest surprise, Simon practically mauls me and slams his lips in to mine. When he comes up for breath, I gulp and choke out the words, "So, you, uh, like it then?"

"Like it? Baz, I..." He stops in his tracks. Instead of finishing his sentence, he simply grabs my hand and pulls me off of the couch and in the direction of the bedroom. He yanks at my shirt for the entire walk there, obviously trying to pull it off. I giggle.

Somehow I think everything is okay.