An Average Evening

Enjoy! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Baz's POV

"Snow, shut up." The words hiss out of my mouth as my insufferable roommate kicks and breaths heavily in the next bed over.

He doesn't react to my request. Instead, I hear him murmur something undecipherable and toss around under the sheets. I groan as I flick my blanket off of my body and rise from my bed. The scratchy carpet feels cool against my feet. I creep over to Snow's bed and hover above him, my arms crossed tightly over my chest. The moonlight crawling through the window is just enough for me to see sweat beading down his forehead as his limbs flail about, golden curls matted to his head. His eyes are scrunched closed tightly. Oh. So it's just another nightmare.

"Snow," I mutter quietly at first. He doesn't wake up, so I raise my voice. "Snow... Snow!" With the final call, I grab hold of his shoulder and shake slightly. With that, his piercing eyes fly open. He sits bolt right up in his bed and gibberish flies out his mouth. After several silent moments, he notices my presence and jumps.

Don't look at his chest, don't look at his chest, don't look at his chest...

"Are you done now?" I ask indignantly, pushing away all reminders that Snow is shirtless.

Hesitantly, he nods his head.

"Y-yeah... Sorry. Bad dream..." His voice trails off as he cradles his sweaty forehead in his palm, pushing his perfectly messed up hair out of the way.

I would be lying if I said that I don't feel at least a little bad. I mean, it's nearly every night nowadays.

Maybe if you weren't so goddamn mean to him...

I cut off my own subconscious by returning to my bed, sitting casually on the edge and facing a distressed Snow.

"What was it about this time?" I ask gingerly.

He stares at me in disbelief. I asked it so commonly, as if I frequently request a detailed description of Snow's dreams. I don't know why I did it. I can at least try to make him feel a little better.

"Um..." He stutters. "I actually don't remember..."

He's lying. That probably means it was about me offing him of something. I hope he knows that I never intend to hurt him. Who am I kidding? Of course he thinks that.

"Well... whatever it was, it's over now." I halfheartedly force a smile.

"Uh... yeah. I guess so." His eyes nervously dart around the room. I almost giggle at how confused he must be right now. "I'll be right back." He mutters, standing up and padding to the bathroom.

Simon's POV

What the hell is his angle?

Usually the most I get from Baz after a nightmare is some rude comment about how unbelievably loud I am followed by something snarky about an exam he has the next day that requires he at least get some decent sleep. Why is he being so nice?

I push the bathroom door closed behind me and step up to the mirror. My bare feet are cooled by the linoleum tile floor. I splash cold water on to my grossly sweaty face and run my fingers through my matted and knotty hair. I take a hard stare at my face before I leave. Maybe I worry more about Baz than I have to...

I flick the lights off on my way back to bed. Baz has settled back down in his covers while I was gone, which makes me feel slightly more at ease for some reason.

"So, are you gonna be okay to go back to sleep, Snow?" Baz asks, startling me.

Since when do you give a single shit about my comfort?

"Uh, yeah." I mutter slowly. "Yeah, I'll be fine."

"Good. Night, Snow."

"Night..." I gulp. "Baz."

I lay there for several minutes, my eyes wide open. I have no idea how or why, but I can sense that Baz is awake too.

"Baz?" I feel the word roll of my tongue, surprising myself.

"Yeah?" He says back. His voice seems lighter somehow. Sweeter.

My heart pounds against my ribcage, trying desperately to escape.

"Thank you."

Silence fills every inch of the room. It weighs down my skin and clogs up my lungs, making it nearly impossible to breath. Say something. Anything. Even if it's the most cutting and snarky thing you've ever said to me. Just say it.

"You're welcome, Snow."