Valentine's Day

Okay, so this turned out to be mega adorable. Happy Valentine's Day! I hope someone made you smile today. :) 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Baz's POV

Valentine's day has always been my least favorite day of the year. Watching Snow and Agatha get all dolled up for their annual big date wasn't doing me any favors. The only Valentine's day tradition that I've ever had was crying myself to sleep while Snow was off having his special night. But everything is so different now. Because now I have him.

Simon's POV

Why am I so nervous? I guess it's understandable. If you spend every Valentine's day for so many years with the same person, having it with someone else is scary. But it really shouldn't be. It didn't feel right with Agatha. It never did. But this, with Baz, feels so right. Just as I'm about to leave the bedroom, I hear an impressively loud ripping noise.

Baz's POV

As I walk past the bedroom, I stop in my tracks. I lean my ear in towards the door. I now clearly hear the unmistakable sound of Snow crying. I gently knock at the door.

"...love? Are you okay in there?" I nearly whisper.

I hear the click of the door unlocking, signifying that I can enter.

I can't help but let out a gasp when I see him. It's not like I've never seen Snow in a suit before – I have. It's just that this time I'm allowed to gasp. So I do.

"You look just phenomenal, love."

He peers up at me, his pouty face breaking my heart.

"What's wrong?" I question him.

Instead of saying anything, he simply rises from the bed and turns around. It isn't until now that I see a huge tear running down the back of his suit. His fiery red wings are poking out. Ah. It makes sense now.

"Hey," I take both of his hands in mine. "It's okay. It's just a little thing, Snow. Don't get so worked up over it." I reach up and wipe away some runaway tears from his face. Startling me, Simon pulls himself out of my grasp and turns away.

"No." His voice is cracked and broken. "It's not okay."

"It's just a su-"

"It's not about the suit, Baz!" A fresh set of tears stream down his cheeks. "It's about how I can't even look nice for my boyfriend on our first Valentine's Day together because I'm permanently fucked up. Because I'm a screw up."

He kicks over the trash can and dramatically sits down on the bed, burying his face in his arms. I've got to hand it to him. He keeps it together most of the time. This happens every once in a while. I kneel down on the floor in front of him and gently use my hand to lift his chin up to meet my eyes.

"Look at me," I say, grabbing hold of his hands. "You, my dear, are absolutely not a screw up by any means. It's not your fault that this happened to you. And guess what else? To me, you look breathtaking every single day. You absolutely don't need to put on some fancy clothing for me to find you attractive. I've said it before and I'll say it again, as many times as it takes for you to believe me. I choose you, Simon."

He sniffs and scoots off of the bed and on to the floor next to me. Wrapping his lanky arms around my waist and burying his face in my chest, he whispers, "Thank you, Baz."

I smile slightly and rub his back.

"Hey, it's what I'm here for." I chuckle to myself.

He sits up to look at me in the eyes.

"I'm sorry. It just... it gets to me sometimes. The wings and everything. I try really hard to not let it bother me but sometimes I just can't help it."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, love. It's completely understandable." I use my thumb to rub away the tear stains on his face.

"Here's what we're going to do. You're going to go put on your pajamas while I go to the store and get things to make for dinner here. We'll have a chill Valentine's day. No fancy clothes, no going out. Just relaxing and enjoying each other's company." I run my fingers through his bronze curls as I speak.

"But..." He furrows his eyebrows. "You don't want to cook on Valentine's day, do you?"

"I would do anything for you, holiday or not. Besides, the crowd is going to be ridiculous. This is going to be so much better, I promise."

I plant my lips on to Simon's for a few moments and then help him get up off of the floor.

"I'll be back in twenty minutes, okay?" I turn to leave the room.

"Baz?"

"Mm?"

"You're the best boyfriend ever."

I smile broadly and say, "I know."

When I return from the store, grocery bags in hands, I find Snow curled up on the couch in one of my fuzzy jumpers and lounge pants. I go in to the bedroom and shed my suit and put on something more comfortable. Just as I begin to cook, I feel Simon's arms snake their way around my waist as he hugs me from behind. Burrowing his face in my jumper, I hear a muffled, "Thank you so much for doing this."

I swiftly turn around and engulf him in my embrace. As he buries himself in my neck, I rest my chin on the top of his head.

"It's not a problem, my dear."

The entire evening, I completely devote myself to Simon. It's all about him tonight. We eat dinner cuddled up on the couch. Simon incessantly compliments my cooking more than usual. I can tell that he feels bad for being the reason that we're not having the over the top Valentine's day that we planned on. Even as I constantly assure him that I'm more than happy with staying home, he's not convinced. As the credits roll on the movie that Simon picked out, he takes a sighing breath and pushes his face in to my chest again.

"What is it?" I soothe, hand stroking his golden hair.

"This is our first Valentine's day together. Didn't you want it to be...you know... more extravagant than this?

"Simon. Yes, this is our first Valentine's day together. But guess what? I'm thoroughly convinced that this is one of many. We have the rest of our lives to have as many over the top nights out as we want. And you know what else? This was more than enough for me. I've spent the last seven Valentine's days binge eating scones and crying myself to sleep while you were out with your girlfriend. The fact that we're together right now means more to me than any date at a swanky restaurant would. You have absolutely nothing to worry about, love. This has been the perfect Valentine's day. I promise."

I plant a kiss on the top of his head and cuddle closer to him.

"You amaze me, you know that?" Simon mumbles in to my jumper.

"Yeah, I know that too," I say through giggles, leaning in to kiss him.

As we doze off wrapped in each other's embraces, everything is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. Nothing hurts. All that matters is us.