The Baby (Part 3)

Final chapter of this series! However, you can definitely expect the occasional chapter with Natasha in the future just because it's so adorable. Have a nice day and enjoy. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon's POV

My eyes blearily peel open as I feel a looming absence next to me. I glance over and sure enough, Baz isn't there. I lift my sleepy head up from my pillow to see him standing on the other side of them room, leaning over the newest addition to our bedroom. I smile slightly. This is the third night in a row that I've woken to find him there. As silently as I can, I climb out of bed and tiptoe over to him.

"She's not going to run away you know," I whisper, startling him.

After recovering slightly, he smirks at me.

"Yeah, I know," He turns back to the crib. "I just like to look at her."

I chuckle and lean over the crib next to him. He's right. Something about having a newborn around – it really changes you. Suddenly date nights become staying in and playing the bouncy game for hours on end. Evening cuddles have an extra human in them. Sleeping late is replaced with bleary eyes and early mornings. But it's all incredibly worth it. Because now we have her. Natasha has made our love stand its toughest test. We're seeing new and vulnerable sides of each other that may have never been explored without her. It's made us closer and stronger than ever.

I reach over and grab Baz's hand, never breaking my gaze at Nat. I swear every time I've looked at her since she came home with us, she gets more beautiful. Her cheeks are a glorious shade of blushing pink, which I've taken to placing gentle kisses on whenever they're available to me. Her arms and legs are wonderfully chubby and by far the most adorable thing I've ever seen. She has a single tuft of golden hair on top of her head, that's already beginning to curl slightly. Her eyes. As much as I know it's impossible, I swear she has Baz's eyes. It sounds so ridiculous. He laughs at me whenever I bring it up. Forcing myself to tear my eyes away from her, as she stirs gently in her blankets, I turn my gaze to Baz. Seeing how he interacts with Nat and how much he loves her makes my heart ache in the best way possible. I always knew that he'd be a fantastic father, but some part of me was always curious as to how fast he would take to her. He's truly proved to me every single day so far that he's already one of the best dads out there. I should never have doubted him.

"You know, we really should get some sleep," I bump my shoulder against his to get his attention. "They say that we should be sleeping whenever she's sleeping, you know. So that when she inevitably wakes up in a few hours, we'll be at least a little rested."

He grunts gently in response.

Baz's POV

I can't tear myself away from her. I feel like it's all too good to be true. It's as if I may close my eyes for a few minutes that she might just disappear. Poof. The best thing that's ever happened to us, gone. I've tried to convince myself for days now that she's actually here. She's ours for good and I know that. I just can't bring myself to walk away.

"Hey," Simon nudges me again. "Are you listening to me?"

"Oh, uh, yeah. I am, I promise," I only look away from Nat for a few moments, taking no risks. "I just... can't seem to leave her. I'll miss her too much. Just like when I leave you."

Simon smiles and kisses my cheek.

"Well, listen," I break away and look at him. "According to my calculations, we have approximately..." He glances at his bare wrist, as if looking at a watch, and considers for a moment. "...18 years until she resents us and moves out. I think we can spare a few hours away from her to get some sleep, you think?"

I giggle softly, so as not to wake Nat.

"I think we'll be surprised by how fast 18 years flies by," I snake an arm around his waist.

"Always complicating things, you are," Simon jokes.

I consider for a few moments, then whisper, "Alright, I'll sleep. But if she seamlessly vanishes because I stopped looking at her, I'm going to blame you for the rest of our lives. Deal?"

"Deal."

Simon's POV

I wake up two hours later. Baz is gone again. I think we're doing okay with this whole parenting thing.