Promises

PROMISES

Harry: Hands over your eyes, he guided you through the apartment, careful to keep you away from the door frames and tables that he’d fallen victim to so frequently. “You’re not looking, right? You’ll ruin it.” “I’m not looking, I promise,” you replied, knees wobbling with uncertainty. “It’s just a few more steps and we’ll be there,” he assured, an arm around your waist, steadying you. Gasping at the sudden gust of cool air, you felt his grip tighten. “You can open your eyes now,” he whispered. Before you was your tiny balcony dotted with candles, a tiny black table with two chairs set in the middle, identical to the one you’d seen (what felt like) so many years before. “You know you didn’t have to do all of this,” you sighed, feeling guilty he went to such measures for every celebration. Or perhaps because you’d just gotten him a watch. “This is our anniversary, it’s got to be special doesn’t it?” Taking your hand again, he showed you to your chair. “A year, huh?” you whispered, almost overwhelmed by the thought, but elated and proud and loved-up nonetheless. “An entire year of our lives. And going. I can promise you that.”

Liam: It was a sickening cycle. Day in, day out, it was always the same. The frustration and the yelling and the harsh words and the tears and the quiet that settles after the fights. And you were back at the beginning, yet again. “Wait, where’d you think you’re going now? You can’t just spend all this time feeding me lies about how you were different and how it was all about me, not the lights or the attention then just turn your back.” You stood frozen in your tracks, caught in the bitter words and accusations. “This is a relationship, we’re supposed to be in this together, you can’t just walk away.” Any arguments you tried to make were lodged in your throat, growing tighter with each uneasy breath. “Liam, what are we doing because I’m not even sure anymore,” you managed, your words laced with desperation, “I don’t want it to be like this.” “What happened to everything we told each other before? That we’d never be let it happen, that we were stronger? That you wouldn’t go?” Hands trembling, you reached for the doorknob, walking out before hearing a broken voice call out behind you, “but you promised.”

Louis: ”You have got to be kidding me, you’re not going back there. You say you’re happy, but you’re the furthest thing from it. You don’t even look the same anymore. I’m not gonna take care of you here then let you go back to him.” Staring at the ground, you made no attempt to protest. “When was the last time he told you he loved you? You and I both know the answer to this.” Simply avoiding the question, you got up and silently collected your things. “Hey, you’re not walking away from it this time. I need an answer. When did he say it and mean it?” Turning away to avoid his expectant gaze, you took a step back, only to feel your arm pulled back. “I don’t know Louis, is that what you want to hear? I don’t know,” you hissed, shaking yourself free. Gaining hold of you again, he turned you around to face him, blue eyes clouded with concern. “Then why do you leave me and go back to him every single day? I can take care of you. I can make you happy, just promise me this is the last time you’re going.” “Okay,” you mumbled, halfheartedly. “I need to hear you say it.” “I promise.”

Niall: He emerged from the jeweler’s with your mother on his arm, both of their faces adorned with proud smiles. Quickly, he turned to her, “I need you to promise that you won’t tell her, I just wanted you to help me make sure she’d love it,” he whispered, still paranoid that you’d appear over his shoulder. “I promise. My lips are sealed,” your mother answered, eyes shining at the prospect of her little girl dressed in white. “I’m not sure when I’m gonna ask her yet, but it has to be a surprise,” he stressed, tucking the tiny black box into his coat, “I know how excited the mothers get for weddings. But what if she says no?” Grabbing his elbows and pulling him close, she kept her voice low and reassuring, “I am more than sure she’ll say yes, that girl is foolishly in love with you. And you’ve got my word on that.” Even after all the time you’d been together, he was still bashful at the fact that you were just as head over heels as he was. He failed to hide the pink tint to his face from your mother, who was caught in the same warm atmosphere. Deciding to let it go, she ushered him along, warning, “Let’s get going before she gets suspicious, wouldn’t want her asking questions now.”

Zayn: You heard the knocking, there just wasn’t any heart to answer it. You knew who it was, he always stopped by. Hearing the door creak open, you noticed his cautious steps coming towards you. “I heard about what happened. Don’t worry about it. He wasn’t worth it, they never are. You’re better off.” Wordlessly nodding, you sank further into your seat on the couch, dejected. “I love you, you know that?” Looking up at him with an expression that could only be taken for disappointment, you uttered, “Why? Why now?” Fiddling with his hands, he quickly added, “I don’t want you to say anything back, I’m not expecting anything, I just thought you needed to know. Because I see you with these guys and they end up leaving and it’s shitty to see you so broken and all I can do is watch you fall for someone else. And it really doesn’t matter what’s happened before, or who’s hurt you because that’s the past. And I care about you, and I want you to know that. So maybe if you’d just give me a chance, if you’d just let me in, I could do that. I promise.”

-------

Posted by phantomzayn