Chapter 4: Unexpected

Weekends over and its time to endure the long week ahead of me. I have so many deadlines to meet and pending articles that needs to be done before the end of the month. Good thing I finished more than half of it last week plus I have my ever reliable assistant Yuri, she's really a big help.

As I entered our building, i hurriedly went to the elevators and pushed the up button. Well, only a few knew the fact that I hate riding these things. If only our office isn't located on the 25th floor, I'd rather take the stairs. Bom once asked me how I got the phobia, but to be honest, I really can't remember. She said maybe I'm claustrophobic or something. But no, just the elevators. Since then i can't ride it by myself. There has to be someone with me.

Anyway, as the door opens, i dragged myself inside while inhaling deeply. I pushed my floor button and started counting in my head to distract myself. Even if there's plenty of people inside, i still feel nauseous. I kept hearing the bell every time someone has to go out.

Ting!!! Finally!! I got out and sighed as I reached my floor. Imagine what I have to go through everyday. Sheesh.

I walked in the hall and as I did, I saw Donghae also making his way to our office. That's weird, I thought he's on leave today. "Hey Donghae!" I called him.

"Hey Dara! You're early." He greeted and flashed the most widest smile I've ever seen. He's in the mood today. Cute.

"I thought you're on leave today?" I asked.

"Yeah, I know, but something came up and I guess I have to be here." He said while pulling his eyebrows up and down repeatedly.

"What could be so important that you have to cancel your plan to..." His phone suddenly beeped cutting me in mid sentence. He checked his phone and then shifted his gaze back to me after reading the message.

"Dara, I have to go. Catch you later?" He said.

"Oh ok, see you later then." And he left, leaving me dumbfounded. Hmm, so unlike him. Whatever he's up to must be really important. I just shrugged.

I made my way to my office and saw a sticky note on my computer. It says "Meeting at 8:30am, conference room". I raised my eyebrow feeling weird. We usually have our weekly meetings on Mondays but not this early. Aisht! I only have fifteen minutes to prepare.

--------

We are now sitting here in the conference room, together with all the managers and supervisors from different department. I think todays topic will be about the releasing of our monthly magazine issue. Good thing I'm almost done with the editing.

"Good morning!" Ms. Han said as she entered the room. Silence suddenly filled the air. We don't want the witch to be mad, she might cast some spell or something. Kekeke. Kidding.

"We are all aware about the top management's recent announcement with regards to the hiring of new employees." she started. "The main purpose of this project is to be able to grow and increase our level of competence all throughout the country. At the same time, give opportunities to those who have the skills and knowledge in this industry. So, after weeks of deliberation to the willing applicants, we have finally decided who will be joining us." Everyone looked at each other, thinking who the new employees are.

"Everyone, lets all welcome, the newly hired employees of YG Media Group." She declared.

One by one, they stepped inside the room. I looked at them as we all gave them a round of applause. The first ones who entered are new faces, while the others are already working here who came from different departments. And to my utter shock, my eyes landed on the last person who entered. I very well know who it was, i just talked to him this morning. Its Donghae. That explains his behavior earlier. I saw him scanned the room and when our eyes finally met, he again, flashed his smile and even waved his hand at me.

"The details to what department are they assigned and who will handle them will be emailed to you after this. Its a good timing since the releasing of monthly magazine issue is near, they will be of great help to you. Now, if you don't have any questions, that sums up out meeting. You may now go back to work" she said.

I stood up and went to him, "Wow, you made it! You're finally in! Congratulations!" I greeted and gave him a hug.

"Yeah, thanks to you." He said as he hugged me back.

"Nah, its all you. Your work finally paid off. You deserve it." I told him. We walked outside and I lead him to where our department is situated.

"I think I'm gonna like it here." He said as we reached my office.

"Really? What makes you say that?" I asked him while making my way to my desk and turned my computer on.

"Because... people are friendly.." He said as he scratched his head. I laughed at his comment.

"Why? Don't you have a friendly environment before? I mean, advertising department is full of life compared here. Plus you get to meet many people and gain new friends from there." I told him shaking my head. I really don't get him sometimes.

"Yeah, but the more you gain friends the more you gain enemies. I just can't handle it sometimes." Well, he has a point.

"Yeah, you're right." I agreed. I opened my email and found the message containing the list of employees hired and their appointments. I saw Donghae's name and his new position, assistant chief editor. Wait, what? "Ahh, Donghae, there must be something wrong with the list. It says here you're position is Assistant chief editor? That position is already taken." I inquired feeling confused.

"Uhmm, I forgot to tell you Dara. Ms. Han assigned me as your new assistant." He confirmed. But what about Yuri? "Actually, it wasn't what I applied for but she said I will gain more experience and learn new things." He added.

"She said that?" I asked and he answered me with a nod. I can't believe this. Does Yuri know about this? What will happen to her? Its not that I dislike Donghae for the job, its just that it will be unfair on Yuri's part. I need to talk to Ms. Han about this.

----------

I punched the key code of my door as I finally arrived home. I stepped inside my apartment and tossed my bag on the couch. After I did my evening rituals, I immediately threw myself to bed. Feeling tired with what happened in the office.

I talked to Ms. Han after my conversation with Donghae, she said he deserved the position and even told me that he's a perfect candidate as my understudy once I decided to retire. Can you believe that? I'm too young to retire. I asked her about Yuri and said she will be transferred to different department and she already agreed. Poor Yuri, she has been my assistant for many months now and friendship has been built. I'l just talk to her tomorrow, but right now, I need to rest. I closed my eyes and finally went to dreamland.