Chapter 63: Darkest Hour

3RD PERSON'S POV

Everyone went still and remained frozen on their spot. No one dared to move for what they saw shook their sanity away from them. Even the person responsible for it became speechless as pure shock and horror was drawn all over his face.

"A-appa..." Jiyong stuttered as he looked into his father's eyes. His father who's standing right in front of him, caught the bullet that was intended for him. He was beyond shocked, not only because of what just happened, but because he can't believe his father, who despised him since he was little, took a bullet for him.

Jiyong was able to catch his father when he collapsed in front of him. He carefully laid him on the floor letting his head rest on top of his lap. He was hugging him tightly when he suddenly felt something wet from his back. He tried to check to see where the bullet landed but his eyes widen more when he saw blood gushing out from his skin. Without noticing, a tear finally escaped his eye as he looked at his father.

"Call the medics!!!" Jiyong barked orders to his men but they remained rooted on their spot because of the impending danger around them. Chanyeol's men were still in full alert to their every movement. He repeated his words while cradling his father on his arms.

"Ji-jiyong..." his father's hoarse voice filled his ears as he abruptly turned his gaze from his men to his father. "Don't worry. This is meant to happen."

"No!! You need help!! I'll call the ambulance myself. Don't worry..." Jiyong was about to stand up but Hyunsuk held his arm tight stopping him.

"Its alright Jiyong." He said as a smile crept up on his face. "I've been waiting for this anyway." He said and that surprised Jiyong.

"Wh-what??"

"I've been a constant pain to everyone...especially to you. I n-never wanted to be like this, b-but i have to." A tear fell from his father's eye as he continued. "I w-wanted you to h-hate me. To despise me, because i don't deserve your respect and most specially your l-love."

"What are you saying appa!?" Jiyong raised his voice, confused of what his father is saying.

"I..I forced your m-mother to be with me. I...I was desperate that time. I offered her anything she wants but she refused. I did everything to have her...even if i commit a crime..." he paused as another tear escaped his eye. Jiyong's breathing became ragged, finally starting to understand what his father is currently revealing. "I thought if she bears my child, he will return my love for her, but i was wrong. She hated me more, but she loved the child growing inside her even if he wasn't born yet. I was jealous of that fact and developed hatred because of how she treated me differently. Thoughts of you being my competition to her attention lurked inside my mind. And when you came, i hated you more when she chose you over her life. She gave you her love that i've been dying to have."

Jiyong cannot believe what he was hearing. Different emotions rushed through him as the truth tried to sink in his system. That's the reason why his father acted cold around him. He was deprived of the love from her mother that he effortlessly had even before he was born. She even offered her own life just for him to live. Fresh tears fell from his eyes upon realizing where his father's hatred came from. He felt sorry for him in a way for he never experienced to be loved by someone he cared for.

"I..I'm sorry Jiyong. I'm sorry for not treating you well. And...i'm sorry for acknowledging my fault this late." Hyunsuk apologized as he stared at his son's face for he knew this will be the last time he'll ever look at him. Seconds later, he felt tired and his eyelids started to become heavy. "Live well Jiyong...my son." that was the last words he spoke before he finally closed his eyes.