1

Y/N smiled, taking a pass from her teammate and passing it back before moving along to her next spot and passes to another one of her teammates, glancing over when her coach walks past.

"Hey, Y/L/N, can I have a word?" She asks and Y/N shrugs and leaves her group and walks beside her coach. "So, I got a call this morning, about you." Her coach starts and Y/N swallows hard.

"If it was from my math prof., coach, I told him I'm still working on the assignment, but I've been busy with other projects. I swear it'll be done tonight." Y/N says and her coach laughs.

"Relax, Y/L/N. It wasn't your math professor." She says and Y/N lets out a relieved sigh.

"Then who was it?" She asks and her coach smirks and moves to the side to reveal Jill Ellis. The U.S. Women's National Team's coach. "This has to be a joke." Y/N says and her coach shakes her head as Jill holds her had out to Y/N.

"I promise it's not a joke, Y/N. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard great things about you. I can't wait to see you in action in a USWNT jersey. What do you say?" She asks and Y/N looks at Jill with wide eyes.

"Seriously?" Y/N asks and Jill nods and holds up a USWNT jersey with Y/N's number and last name on it. "When would I start practicing?" She asks and Jill smiles.

"After your graduation." Jill says and Y/N nods.

"I'll see you then."

-

A few months later, Y/N walks into the stadium the USWNT is holding their bootcamp at and walks over to the team and finds Jill, who smiles when she sees the recent college graduate and calls the team in.

"Guys, this is our new central midfielder, Y/N Y/L/N, she went to University of Georgia and just graduated. She's going to join us in Rio." Jill says and everyone voices their greetings to the rookie. "Tobin, could you warm her up?" Jill asks and the New Jersey native nods, waiting for Y/N to put her cleats and shin guards on, when the younger girl is finally ready, they take a ball out and start to warm up together in silence. "You don't have to be scared to talk with each other." Jill says as she passes the silent duo.

"Hey, Tobin." Y/N calls for a pass and Tobin passes to the rookie, who passes back when Tobin silently signals for a drop.

-

"Y/N, Tobin, partner up again for this." Jill says as she explains what she wants the team to do and Y/N sighs, not looking forward to the tense silence the older woman prefers. When the team is released to do what they were told to, Tobin and Y/N do the same and it's the same as warming up. Silent and full of vain attempts to talk to the girl with the 17 on her back.

-

"What the fuck, Heath! Watch yourself!" Y/N shouts after she takes a ball to her face.

"What's going on?" Jill asks, running over with the Athletic Trainer hot on her heels as everyone looks over.

"I need a new partner coach." Y/N mumbles, clutching her nose as the AT walks over to her.

"Tobin. What happened?" Jill asks and Tobin shrugs.

"I probably took the wrong touch." Tobin says as Y/N walks off with the Athletic Trainer.

"Just be careful next time. We don't need her out on a concussion." Jill says before walking off toward Y/N and the trainer.

"Well, it's just going to hurt like hell for a bit." The trainer says as Jill walks up.

"She's good to play still though, right?" Jill asks and the trainer nods. "Good, I'd hate to pull you off on your first day of bootcamp." Jill says and Y/N sighs.

"Do I have to go back to Tobin?" Y/N asks and Jill shakes her head.

"I'll put you with Carli, she might be gentler than Tobin."

"I hope so." Y/N says before standing as Jill calls Carli over.

"Can you work with her?" Jill asks Carli and Carli nods, smiling at Y/N, already the opposite of Tobin.

-

The next day as the midfielders are working on tackling, Tobin and Y/N are next in both lines, so Y/N takes a deep breath before dribbling out and groans when Tobin's cleat connects with Y/N's ankle.

"Fucking watch yourself Tobin!" Y/N yells as she gets up, babying her ankle.

"How bout you watch what the fuck you're doing?" Tobin snaps back and Y/N huffs as she limps over to the trainer.

"Oh no." The trainer starts, seeing the National Team Rookie limping his way. "What happened this time?" He asks and Y/N sighs.

"Tobin fucking slide tackled me. Not the ball. Me." Y/N says, glaring over at her teammate, who glares right back.

"Alright, let me get a look at it." The trainer says and Y/N holds her leg out for the trainer to remove her cleats and socks to look at her ankle. "It's bruised, that's for sure." He says, starting to slowly move the ankle to the left and right, making Y/N wince for each side. "It's messed up pretty bad. I'll ice it for you today and show you the exercises I need you to do to heal that ankle and send you home with it. Sound good?"

"Sure, if it gets me away from Tobin."

-

When Y/N gets to her new house in Portland, she sighs as she sits on her couch with her foot up, but gets up and limps over to her door when there's a knock. She looks at the person at her door and smiles when she sees Alex standing in front of her. She limps to the side a little and invites her teammate in.

"Hey, I decided that since we have today off, I'd come and help around the house, is that okay?" Alex asks and Y/N shrugs.

"Sure." Y/N says and squeals when Alex picks her up and carries her back into the living room. "Alex! Put me down!" Y/N yells out, laughing as Alex tosses her onto the couch, but groans when the bruised side of her ankle hits the armrest.

"Sorry." Alex says before going and grabbing the ice pack in Y/N's freezer before coming back and putting the ice pack on the hurt ankle.

"Being injured is boring." Y/N whines and Alex laughs.

"You'll get used to it, then have to get back on the field once you've adjusted." Alex says and Y/N chuckles.

"That's so true." Y/N responds before yawning.

-

When Y/N wakes up, she groans as her ankle starts to throb and sits up to see Alex watching TV quietly on a chair close to the couch, so she stands up and watches as Alex's head turns to her.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just going to get some pain killers and maybe go lay down." Y/N says and Alex nods.

"I can stay if you want me to." Alex offers and Y/N smiles.

"No, you don't have to. You probably have something else you could be doing. I'll be fine."

"Alright. Call me if you need anything." Alex says, getting up and helping Y/N to her room. "I'll get the medicine for you and then leave, okay?" Alex asks and Y/N nods as she lays on her bed and puts her foot up. Shortly after Y/N had settled into bed, Alex came back with a pill bottle and a bottle of cold water. She handed the bottles to her teammate, hugged her, and left after Y/N said bye to her