66

Y/N
-

"Hey babe." Tobin says as she comes up behind me and wraps her arms around me as I sit at the kitchen island as I respond to emails on my laptop.

"Hey." I say, smiling as Tobin traces my stomach through my shirt. "How may I help you, oh mighty Nutmeg Queen?" I ask and smile when Tobin laughs against my neck.

"I was wondering if you'd want to go see your mom and dad before we have to head to Japan." Tobin says and I sigh, enjoying Tobin's touch as she traces my stomach now under my shirt and ghosts her lips along my neck.

"I'd love to." I say and groan as Tobin stops.

"Great. We leave in four hours." She says and I chuckle to myself before following her up to the room so we can pack our USWNT suitcase and a duffle of clothes for our stay in LA. When we were finished, we had an hour to get to the airport, so we packed our carry on bags and headed out immediately.

When we got to LA, we took a cab to my parents place and Tobin paid the fare as I got our bags from the trunk of the cab. When he was gone, we walked up to the front door and I knocked, after a few minutes, my dad opened the door and smiled at us.

"Girls. Welcome. Come on in. Your mother is going to be thrilled that you're here." Dad says and I smile at him. Tobin and I go set our things down before heading out to sit with dad and my sleeping mother in the living room. After we had spent a couple of hours talking, my mom woke up and smiled at us. I of course hopped to my feet and hugged her as tight as I could without hurting her.

"Y/N/N, what are you doing here?" She asks and I sigh, kissing my mother's burning forehead.

"We came to visit before we have to go to Tokyo in a few days."

"Well, you're not going to stay until after the fourth?" Dad asks and I shake my head.

"Wait, why are you going to Tokyo?"

"Mom, I'm going to the Olympics again." I say, tears welling up in my eyes because I'm terrified. I'm losing my mom so fast. And there's nothing I can do to help her. I know my father and Tobin pray for her every chance they get, but I don't believe in that. I don't believe in anything besides the fact that the world is a cold, cruel place, and some people are too good for this world. Like my mom. If I shared the beliefs that my girlfriend, father and mother did, I'd say she was an angel. A heaven-send. But I will anyway despite my lack or faith in religion. My mother is a damn angel and anybody who doesn't like me saying that can die in fire. I'll take a beating, get bullied, picked on, used, abused and almost raped, but if you even breathe toward my family in the wrong way, you better hope there's some quick escape for you because there'll be nothing left when I'm done with your sorry ass.

"Oh, baby. I'm so proud of you." Mom says and I let a tear escape.

"I know mom. You told me this morning. And yesterday."

"Y/N." Dad says and I look over at him. He waves me over, so I hug my mom and kiss her forehead again before following my dad into the kitchen. "Have you been cutting?" He asks and I sigh.

"I only did it once, Dad. I flushed those blades as soon as I realized what I was doing."

"How are you, how have you been?"

"Look at the past few months of my life and tell me how you think I'm doing." I say and he hugs me tight.

"How are you holding up about your mother?" He asks and I finally just break, sobbing into his chest and clutching his shirt into tight balls of fabric in my fists.

"I'm terrified, dad. I don't want to lose either of you, but we're losing mom so quickly, and I don't know how I'll be able to live without her being just a call away, or getting a call from her in the middle of the night every Wednesday just to make sure I'm alright. I don't know what I'd do if I lost her, period, dad. Why did it have to be her? Why not someone else? Someone who isn't as amazing a person as mom? Why?"