72

Y/N
-

I sigh as Hope and I sit in the exam room in the Mayo Clinic, waiting to be seen, and look over at Hope as she speaks.

"Close your eyes for a bit. You had a rough night last night. Those nightmares didn't help with your knee one bit." She says, and I nod to myself as I close my eyes and relax.

-

"Sorry about that wait." A voice says, startling me from my nap. "I'm sorry, ladies, I didn't realize I took that long." The doctor says, and I look over to Hope who looks like she, too fell asleep.

"I don't think you took very long. We just had a long night." Hope says and the doctor looks between us.

"I thought you were married and you were in a committed relationship?" He asks, taking me by surprise that he'd know about us. But, I mean, we do have big names, not to sound arrogant.

"Oh, no, I have nightmares." I say and he nods.

"She thrashes during said nightmares. The nightmares and the pain in her knee from moving around so much kept her awake and I kept her company." Hope continues explaining and he nods before looking only at me.

"Well, Miss Y/L/N, it's a pleasure to meet you, my daughter is a huge fan of the both of you." He says holding his hand out to me, so I shake it, smiling at him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well." I say and he nods.

"So Dr. Reid over in Orlando sent me the pictures of your knee that they took, but I want to get some of my own, just to see what has changed. If it's good or if it's bad."

-

"So it looks like you are going to need surgery." The doctor says after a while and I nod.

"I figured as much."

"How long are you in town for?"

"How long will it take to get the surgery?"

"I think we can get you in at the end of the week if you'd like me to check." He says and I nod, so he disappears for a minute before returning with a big book in his hand as he scans through it. "Yes, I have Friday open, if you'd like, and I look to Hope, because she's my ride here and back, and my big bad intimidating teddy bear when I'm in pain.

"I'm free on Friday." Hope says and I nod.

"Let's do Friday." I say and he nods, writing down what he needs to before setting his book aside and pulling a jersey from his coat.

"My apologies, it's just-"

"Your daughter asked for autographs. We completely understand." Hope and I say in unison and I pull out a sharpie because I just keep one in case I want to draw on something or I'm asked for an autograph. Mostly the former though. Hope and I sign the jersey and take a picture with him before following him to the receptionist so the operation can be scheduled. When we leave, Hope tells me to call Tobin, so I FaceTime her and smile when her face pops up on my screen.

"Hi baby." She says, smiling brightly, and I feel myself smile just as bright.

"Hi love."

"What'd they say?" She asks and I sigh.

"I need knee surgery." I say and Tobin pouts.

"Aw, baby. I'm sorry. When do they operate?" She asks.

"Friday at 10 in the morning."

"So soon?"

"I wanted it that soon. The sooner I get patched up, the sooner I can get in and out of rehab and back on the field." I say and Tobin sighs.