61

"So I may have lied about why we're going to Columbus." Alex says as we pull into Columbus, and I raise an eyebrow at her.

"So why are we here?" I ask and she shrugs, driving silently for the entire ride until she pulls up on a GTR, she parks and gets out, telling me to get out as well, so I listen, freezing as my favorite YouTuber steps out of the GTR.

We spent the day with Roman fucking Atwood, and headed back to Akron around six, the Racers coach had scheduled a late practice, at eight, so we had to be back by then, and we were, this time, I just sat in the dugout and watched them practice. I was invited to borrow a pair of cleats and a glove and get out there to see if I could keep up, but I already know I wouldn't be able to, but the coach did approach me with an interesting offer. Throw the first pitch of their game day after tomorrow. Seemed simple enough, so I accepted, then asked if I should start practicing my pitching as a joke, but stopped when a glove was dropped into my lap.

"Dammit." I say once the coach is gone, and go to the bullpen where she said it'd be and practice while Alex practices. Once practice was over, I still wasn't satisfied, so Alex volunteered to be catcher.

"Still enforcing the fact that I love you, sister." Alex says and I smile.

"Thank you, my brave second baseman." I say catching the ball Alex throws back at me.

-

"Alright, it's midnight, let's go home." Alex says and I nod. "Glove is yours by the way." Alex says, coming over to me and showing that my name is stitched into the thumb of the glove.

"That's highly unnecessary." I say, walking with Alex to the dugout so she can go into the locker room and change.

"Oh well, come on in." She says and I hesitate. "Come on. It's not like we're gonna fuck." Alex says and I sigh, going and sitting in the chair that was set in front of the locker next to hers, listening to her talk as she changes back into the clothes she wore today. When we get home, I tell Alex to go shower and I'll make us something to eat, when she gets out, the food is ready and we eat as we catch up on each other's lives.

"So you've been single since last year?" I ask ans she nods. "Why?"

"Because I've been through five girlfriends and not one has stuck around." She says and I shrug, looking at my friend.

"So?"

"So? I want to take a break from the pain." Alex says and I set my fork down.

"Hey, look at me, Hugo." I say and Alex looks up at me. "You don't need to explain why you've stopped dating. Remember I swore off dating too? Things like this take time. Girls can be dicks." I say and Alex snorts. "And sometimes the biggest dick is the one you gal the hardest for." I say and Alex nods.

"Yeah, Tobin was an ass to you before you guys got together, huh?" She asks and I chuckle, nodding.

"Look at us now."

"Might as well be married." Alex says and I shrug.

"I understand why you're doing what you're doing. I did it myself. Just don't shit yourself off completely. That's where you fuck yourself." I say and Alex nods. We finish eating talking about lighter topics than that, and clean the minimal mess before going to bed. In the morning, we wake up and get dressed for practice before heading out, we spend a few hours at the field, I'm still working on my pitching, and Alex is being a pro. After practice, she comes into the bullpen and catches for me. We finish at one, and head back to Alex's place to get cleaned up, because her teammates invited us both out with them, Alex wanted to decline, but I didn't want to seem rude or snobbish, I'm no better than them, well, maybe at my own craft, but if I tried to play a game against them, I'd surely lose.