65

Y/N was back for the first game in June, I gave her the armband back, and worried about her every day, when that whistle blew though, she played with such a spark in her dull eyes, she was happy during the game, and it was so obvious that her love for this game was the only thing keeping her sane, keeping her from drugs, or self harm, she was Y/N Y/L/N, and everybody knew her name, she made a point to stop and talk with as many fans as she could after games, and she seemed like she was going to be in a good spot mentally for Japan next month, she was back on her hat trick grind, and she's playing harder than in France last year.

"Hey, Ash." I say as Y/N leaves the locker room to warm up for training.

"What's up?" Ash asks and I sigh.

"Y/N's been wearing long sleeves lately. Nothing but long sleeves." I say and Ash sighs.

"Yeah. I'm worried." Ash says and I stop her from speaking.

"Don't even say you think she's doing that." I say and Ash sighs.

"Why else would she be hiding her arms when she's usually proud of her entire body?" As asks and I sigh. "Look, we'll ask her after practice. Alright?" Ash asks and I nod.

Practice was a shit show. I couldn't focus for the life of me. I was too worried about Y/N and if she was alright mentally. Practice ended soon enough, though, and Y/N disappeared to the training room for an ice bath, so Ash and I took that as our chance to go talk to her. We found her in her usual tub with her head leaned back. She worked hard today. I'm surprised she didn't pass out from heat stroke or something just as bad.

"Hey, Fishy." Ash says, and Y/N looks at us as we approach and smiles.

"Hey Sharky, Baby Horse. What's up?"

"We have a question, but we don't want you to get mad. Alright?" Ash asks and Y/N shrugs.

"Alright."

"Why have you been hiding your arms?" I ask and Y/N looks at Ash and I before pushing the sleeves up her arms to reveal a set of five cuts across each wrist "What the hell?"

"Yeah. That's what I said when it happened." Y/N says and I furrow my brow.

"What?"

"These weren't on purpose." Y/N says, pointing to the cuts on her right wrist. "I was in the garage and got these. My left hand though, yeah." She says and I sigh.

"Fishy." Ash says and Y/N looks at us.

"If you haven't noticed, my best friend just died and my mom is about to follow in his footsteps." Y/N says, her voice cracking as she brings up her mom.

"You need to pray for her." I say and Y/N scoffs.

"There's no 'God', Alex. If there was, my mom wouldn't be dying and my perfectly healthy dog wouldn't be dead. My perfectly religious grand parents wouldn't have died either. If there was a god, the good people wouldn't be dying like they are. Instead, people like Trump, all my exes, shitty ass people would be dying. Like people who abuse their children or their dogs, or people who don't flush in a public restroom." Y/N says, laughing at the last thing she said. "I can't do shit for my mom besides cry myself to sleep when I'm not with Tobin. I'm not a scientist. I can't find a cure for cancer. This isn't Fallout 4, where there's a cure to everything in a simple shot. I wish it were that easy." Y/N says before getting out of the ice bath as her phone goes off. "Fuck, I hate crying." She mumbles, slipping her sleeves back down her arms and walking with us to the locker room.

-
Y/N
-

When Ash and I get to our place, I pack my bag because I'm heading to Portland for a couple of days. Irresponsible, considering we have a little over a month to prepare for Paris, but I'll spend the week before we fly to Paris with the National Team so we can have our boot camp there before the games begin. Hopefully this year we'll win a medal and nobody will be kicked out of the federation.