73

Hope
-

It's been six weeks since Y/N's surgery, and she was just told that if she wishes to find somewhere else to continue her physical therapy, she can, so she told them that she wanted to go to Malibu. She even knew who she wanted to go to, so they set it up and I took Y/N back home, where Jerramy was waiting for us, Y/N had convinced him to come back a few weeks back, it was pretty difficult, but she won, she always wins, but he was cleaning the kitchen, so I helped Y/N pack for her trip to Malibu. When we were done, she wrapped me in a tight hug.

"Thank you, Hope." She says and I rest my hands on her shoulders as I smile at her.

"Family doesn't turn their back on family. I'm glad you came to me after all this time not talking much aside from at games." I say and she smiles back at me.

"Family, Hope. Family." She says and I sigh.

"I am going to miss having you around to keep me on my toes." I say and she shrugs.

"You could always come to California with me, help me coach the teams, they'd die if I showed up to practice with you." Y/N says and I chuckle.

"I appreciate the offer, but my husband needs some time with me, too." I say and look over as I hear Jerramy behind me.

"Go on if you want to, babe, I'll be fine on my own for a while." He says and I look at Y/N.

"You heard the man. If you want to, come, I won't mind. Plus it's not like you haven't had to leave him on his own before." Y/N says and I look back at my husband, and he nods, so I sigh.

"You two should get into political debates." I mumble before heading to my room to pack up for this impromptu trip to California with Y/N.

-

When we landed, we headed to luggage claim and got our luggage before heading to where Y/N said her high school coach was waiting for us, she had told her about bringing me along, and made her keep it from the teams.

"Y/N." A woman says as Y/N eagerly crutches over to her, and they hug.

"Karen, it's so good to see you." She says as Karen steps back and looks at me.

"Hope, it's so nice to meet you." She says and I smile.

"It's nice to meet you."

"Thank you for coming." She says and I shrug.

"It's no problem, according to Y/N, I could use a break from Seattle, so here I am, I'm glad you allowed me to come down." I say and she shrugs.

"Having someone like you around might inspire the girls to push themselves a little harder. Come on you guys, I'll take you to the apartment Y/N rented out for her recovery time." Karen says before leading us out to what I assume is her car, and I help Y/N with her bags and her crutches before getting in the back with said crutches. Y/N sits up front as Karen drives and I listen as the two talk. "Your folks are coming home in about a week, kid." Karen says, looking over at Y/N, who looks over and stares at the woman beside her, a hopeful glint in her eye as she suppresses the hopeful smile from her face.

"What's the verdict on my mom?" She asks and Karen looks at her.

"They got most of it. The rest is treatable with chemo." She says and Y/N nods, a tear slipping from her eye, and I watch as the older woman takes Y/N's hand and gives it a gentle squeeze. "Your mom is going to live, honey." Karen says and Y/N just cracks, sobs wracking her body.

"Y/N?" I ask and she looks over and I rest a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm fine. Just happy." She says and I nod. After Y/N and I were dropped off at the apartment she's renting, I help her settle into the room she chose before settling into mine as Y/N lays down to rest, tired from the crying she did in the car.