27

Ashlyn
-

The past five games, Y/N's been a damn great player, the first two games she was subbed in, but has forced Tom to keep her on the field for the entire game with how well she's been playing, and she's done exactly what she came here to do, Pride now sits at number six in the league, and we knocked Sky Blue down to where we sat last season and most of this season, but she's lifted us up three places, and has been player of the match all five games she's played in, so I'm up way before Y/N to go in and talk to Tom about giving Y/N that armband, because I don't care if Marta is on the team, she's been riding the bench lately, and Y/N's been kicking ass, she deserves that band around her arm. As I pull into my usual parking spot, I turn off my jeep after parking, and grab my kit bag and head in, not bothering with changing into my practice kit before going to talk to Tom, when I get to his office, I knock on the door and he looks up before waving me in.

"Ashlyn, how can I help you today?"

"I want to talk to you about Y/N, and her performance lately." I say and Tom smiles wide.

"It's magnificent, isn't it? She's grown so much since she was last on our roster." Tom says and I nod. "So what about her?"

"I want her to be one of the captains." I say and Tom reaches into his desk and tosses me the purple armband.

"So do I. Captain and Coach both want her as captain, you're closest to her, I think you can convince her." Tom says and I nod.

"Pleasure doing business with you." I say and Tom chuckles.

"Wait, if you're here, how is Y/N getting to practice?"

"I should probably go pick her up, huh?"

"Please do. We don't need her pissed at you." Tom says and I nod, going and dropping my bag in my locker before jogging to my car, slipping Y/N's armband into my left front pocket and drive back home, just in time to see Y/N walking out of the house, her back turned to the street as she locks the door, so when she turns around, she walks over and gets in.

"Sorry, had some errands to run." I lie and she shrugs.

"I figured, let's get to practice." She says and I nod, driving back to the stadium, getting out with her and looking across the hood at her when she speaks again. "Wait,"

"What?"

"Where's your kit bag?"

"I dropped by and dropped it off." I say and she shrugs, walking with me into the stadium and to the locker room, where most of the starters and some of the reserves have shown up early. Starters and reserve players here for the same reasons, to get or keep that starting position, Y/N, of course, gets dressed quickly and rushes out to go warm up with Alanna and Ali, so when she's gone, I hide the armband and change into my shorts, socks, and cleats before putting my shin pads on and heading out with my gloves in my hand, the armband hidden between the gloves, as we wait for the rest of the team to show up and come out, we stretch together, well, everyone who isn't me or Aubrey, because we're keepers and we have special stretches. Once everyone is here, Tom calls everyone in and I sit with Y/N, Alex and Ali, after a bit, Tom calls me up and I sigh, getting up and walking to where Tom was just standing as he steps to the side.

-
Y/N
-

"Alright, so, this is highly unusual, but too bad." Ash says and we all chuckle, listening to Ash as she speaks. "There's this girl on the team, she's been kicking ass lately and I'm so damn proud of her, she's stepped up and done her job and so much more, which is why Tom and I both believe that she deserves this." Ash says, revealing the purple captain's armband, since Ash wears the black one. I smile a little and nudge Alex with my cleat and she looks at me, smiling. "Y/N." Ash says and I look over at her, expecting her to tell me to leave my other captain alone, but freeze when she tells me to go stand next to her.