Chapter 62: Dusk and Dawn

"Sir, your ride is here, jo. Fuyu, Yuki, Hana, Homura, and Dekapan are all waiting for you, jo." Hatabou had walked in with his uniform on, neat and spotless as always. Though Ichi didn't question how or why, his flag wasn't there or waving proudly as it usually did. Ichi briefly wondered if the incident days ago had damaged Hatabou's self-esteem greatly, and he hoped his words hadn't been too harsh on him. Hatabou was a childhood friend of his and Jyushi, but Ichi always thought it had been perfectly valid to get angry at Hatabou whenever he did something against his orders. Even if they were friends. "And I lost rock, paper, scissors, jo. So it is apparently my job to fetch you from your office, sir." He sighed.

Ichi could see the mask on Hatabou's hand, so he quickly grabbed his from his desk. It hadn't been a struggle putting on the outfit, seeing as it was very similar to what he usually wore. A simple black suit and a purple tie, and the mask was a bit odd, but thankfully, not too flashy. It was a simple mask similar to Lonely's, except it had two purple feathers on both sides and a single purple flower on the right side. It looked like one of those things Jyushi could make when he was left all alone in his room with some art materials, so Ichi didn't question it much.

Ichi grabbed his katana, which was lying on the sofa. He then handed it to Hatabou, who carefully held it. The katana was an important family heirloom, and Hatabou knew that it was the same katana that Ichi and Jyushi's father used to murder their mother. Hatabou just didn't understand why Ichi kept it. "Alright then. Why don't you go ahead, Hatabou? I'll catch up with you. I still have some things to finish. It won't take too long. Bring this down and give it to me as soon as we get to our destination, okay?"

"As you wish, sir, jo. I'll see you downstairs, jo."

Hatabou bowed and left him without questioning his motives, and Ichi decided it would be best to calm himself before he went anywhere else. As Hatabou shut the newly-built door, Ichi paced around the room, trying to release all of his worries with each step he took. He was going to have to visit his old house again, and he didn't know how exactly he would react to such familiar surroundings that had permanently scarred his little brother. He may seem in control of his emotions, but Ichi knew himself better than anyone. He knew that his own emotions were as unpredictable as his little brother's, and he didn't really like losing control of them. Especially in front of Jyushi, Hatabou, or Dekapan.

Jyushi did say I can be a bit scary when I'm.. overwhelmed with emotions. He doesn't deserve to see me like that ever again.

He glanced at the other things on top of his desk. The empty bottle of poisonous liquid was present, and so were the wilted flowers inside the rather expensive vase. His laptop was also there, and his telephone looked like it had been dusted. His locket, which would have usually been underneath his outfits, was laying carefully on the desk. Ichi didn't want to bring it with him, fearing that he might accidentally lose such a precious picture at his old manor. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, not even the files and paperwork on the table, which he would have finished by now if he didn't spend the entire day worrying and getting ready.

The sun was going to set soon. And for some reason, the sun reminded him of his yellow-eyed little brother, who smiled so much to the point he was able to bring happiness to Flag Corporation just by existing. The sun setting.. it reminded Ichi so much of his mother and his little brother. When his mother was alive, she used to tell stories to Jyushi and Ichi, though Ichi was too mature to actually believe in such fairy tales. Jyushi, however, believed in every single word his mother had said, especially since she said them with such happiness and charisma.

One of the stories he remembered from her was a story she made up on the spot when Jyushi had asked her why he got so sleepy once the sun had set. She used to say that the reason Jyushi got so sleepy once dusk came around was because he was connected to the sun. The sun sleeping meant Jyushi would sleep as well. And Jyushi believed her.