Chapter 156.5: The Mirror Memory Incident (Halloween Special)

Trigger Warnings for this Chapter: Child abandonment, a bit of violence/blood, disturbing images regarding mirrors, disturbing horror movie tropes, and rape implications. Please proceed the following with caution. (Though I do recommend not reading this at all if you feel iffy with the following themes.) This also takes place two months before the events of TDOOS.

Kara wasn't too fond of halloween. The only reason he agreed to come with Todo on trick or treating was because one, Todo wasn't the kind of person who'd plead Kara to go somewhere with him, much less be this excited about it. Two, Todo seemed to have been looking forward to this day, to the point he actually brought a costume for himself and for Kara.

Kara didn't like the thought of going outside in the middle of the night for free candies, except for maybe when he was a kid. But as an adult, he had responsibilities to do, and he knew of how cruel reality really was. He could have purchased a bag of gummy bears at the store and call it a day. Maybe he'd be content watching a horror movie with Todo next to him, eating buttery popcorn and drinking hot chocolate from a big mug.

Surely, that was a better, safer, and simpler way to supposedly celebrate such a horrifying holiday. But no, Todo wanted something different this year. And Kara couldn't say no to Todo, unless he was doing something illegal or dangerous.

"What's gotten into you?" Asked Kara, annoyed by the sound of his accessories clinking together. Todo had gotten him an oni costume, and his mask was turned to the side so Kara could see the streets of Akatsuka City better. It was kind of cool, he had to admit, but Kara didn't really want to be seen wearing such a horrific display. He might make a child or two cry with this costume, he thought. "Normally, we'd just rent a movie for Halloween and make something to eat."

"Stuff." Todo replied, not even looking back at Kara as he lead the way.

While Kara was dressed as a blue oni, Todo was dressed as a pink kitsune, which, in Kara's opinion, was incredibly cute. His fake, bushy pink tails brushed against Kara's body every now and then, and Kara was impressed by how detailed the pink tails and ears Todo brought for himself. Even the masks they both wore were made with care and artistry. The only thing that Todo didn't buy for his costume was the pink yukata and sandals he wore, which he and Kara often wore to festivals together.

Kara was kind of amused that Todo wanted his costume to be absolutely perfect; this included make-up. Kara had to use fuchsia eyeliner, bold pink nail polish, and shiny lip gloss on Katsuna Todo, of all people. At least it made him seem less scary and more elegant, if Kara were to be honest. Todo fell in love with how Kara put so much effort into his makeup.

Kara did catch a few young men and high schoolers in costumes look at Todo with awe, mouths agape, and practically drooling on the floor.

That meant he looked stunning to them, but it made Kara's protective instincts fly in when he remembered Todo's fear of being looked at, or worse, touched. All it took for them to look away was Kara pointing his thumb to himself, and drawing it across his neck, accompanied by a dark look in his eyes. That sent them scurrying, and Todo didn't even notice.

"Whatever it is," Kara had to chuckle, covering his mouth with a hand. Todo glanced at him confusingly, his mask also turned to the side. "It must have been very, very interesting to catch your attention. Nothing catches your eye quicker than something cute or anime."

Todo scoffed, a bit of red on his cheeks. "Dummy."

Kara chuckled in amusement yet again. "I kid, my dear friend."

"Whatever, we're almost there anyway. Maybe we can make this quick and head to the store after we're done."

Kara and Todo had been walking ever since they left the apartment. Encountering other people who wandered the streets in costumes, they either gave or received candy and continued their way towards a destination Kara didn't know of; whenever he asked Todo, the latter would only reply with "You'll see."