Chapter 157: Layers of Ice

(Ya'll. Not only has it been months since the Halloween update, but it's also my birthday today.

I'm now 16! I typed this fic when I was 14 and it's nearly going to be two years since this fic started! Not only that, but I already have 900+ fanart, so once we reach 1000, I'll try making something special.

This chapter has been in Google Drive for months mainly because the original draft was deleted when I was cleaning my files. And when I rewrote it, it wasn't just exciting and it didn't really lead anywhere, so I decided to rewrite it days ago. I thought it would be good to post it now, not just because it took me awhile to update again, but also because it's my birthday and I just want to see how far I got.

Plus, we're eating out later. Can't post this later, haha-

I haven't posted much recently, mainly because I'm a graduating student overwhelmed with school works, stress, and I have loads of depressive episodes that just pop out at the most inconvenient of times.

On the brighter side, I joined two contests this month, and if you'd like to support me in one of them, please do visit this link (if you have an FB account), and heart react/share my entry!; https://www.facebook.com/SMCQCMSC/photos/a.1942685059327650.1073741875.1574975172765309/1942685425994280/?type=3&theater

Anyway! Enjoy the chapter!)

Kara had gotten the gun as a present of some sort from his father, months before the latter's death. He could remember everything clear as day, the memories fresh in his mind as if they happened only yesterday rather than ages ago. The feeling of warm, yet rough skin against a cold unfeeling metal was so familiar.

He could remember the tears shed on the day he attempted to use the gun on a particular person. A person he loathed so much that he wanted them dead at his feet, blood splattered and their skin cold. A disgusting image to think about, yet Kara felt regret he was unable to make such a thing a reality.

Contrary to the popular belief that he was just a meek, motherly hen to those he cared about (well, it was somewhat true, but it wasn't like he'd admit it so freely), Kara wasn't someone to be messed with. Sure, he was more of a pacifist and hated confrontations, opting for a more reasonable approach such as talking things out or even holding his violent best friend back. Some would say he was too cowardly to even face death with pride!

But that wasn't Kara at all, oh no.

Osomatsu realized that as soon as he looked into Kara's eyes.

The true Kara..

How had he not noticed before? He was so stupid to believe Kara only had the "cool, painful, and laid-back" persona as a facade to hide his identity as the group's only sane man. But such a thing would be to easy to guess.

In the last few days, he hadn't been able to recognize the true persona of Kyabarie Kara. Not underneath one mask, but underneath two of them, with the second being unbreakable.

A second mask so pure and kind, one wouldn't think Kara was a master of manipulating others. Maybe it had no ill will behind it other than to hide his true nature, but still.

A painful facade easily destroyed by words. How weak of a mask that was. But a facade of total submissiveness, a pacifist at heart, and someone who'd run in the face of death? It was an even thicker mask that was too convincing, one would think that was who Kara truly was deep down. But it wasn't.

Kyabarie Kara was a kind man, sure. But he wouldn't hesitate to do anything to protect something that was so important to him.

Within a few seconds of unbreakable eye contact and a cold air breezing through them, Kara finally pulled the gun away, albeit slowly. Blue eyes glared deep into Osomatsu's soul, nearly piercing it as if it was a shard of ice. Osomatsu slowly backed away, pushing himself back by moving his butt on the carpet until his back hit the wall.