Chapter 64: The Magician's Ballad

While everyone else was discussing the plan outside, Osomatsu, along with Jyushi, Kara, and Iyami, were free to wander the mansion all on their own. Of course, they could chat with other people if they wanted. At times like these, Osomatsu would, without a doubt, drop his shame and shamelessly flirt with every pretty woman he sees. But for some reason, Osomatsu wasn't in the mood to deal with such things at the moment. He first thought that it was because of the fact that every woman in the room was wearing a mask, but then it dawned to Osomatsu what the true reason was.

It just.. wasn't fun without his brothers. Osomatsu shamefully admitted to himself that Oso and Kamimatsu were right; it wasn't his brothers who needed him. It was him who needed his brothers. Wait, scratch that thought; while Osomatsu himself could admit that he was nothing without his brothers, as they were him and he was them as well, he was positive that he had at least some impact in their lives.. right?

I can only hope that my existence isn't that shitty to have my own brothers hate me.

He wished that was the case. He still hadn't formally apologized to Jyushimatsu and Todomatsu for lashing out at them, and he had been lucky to only face Karamatsu that evening instead of Ichimatsu. Ichimatsu was scary when angered, something Osomatsu had to admit. But he was sure the reason why Ichimatsu wasn't the one to stop Osomatsu from hurting Jyushimatsu further was because the fourth brother knew his own strength. If Osomatsu and Ichimatsu were to get into a serious fight, their poor parents would have to deal with two sons at the hospital for weeks.

But as the eldest, I should never hurt them.. so why did I?

It was probably because of his bitterness, Osomatsu kept telling himself. It certainly wasn't envy, seeing as how he hated jobs and would want nothing more than to keep living like the little NEET he was. He had always wanted to stay with his brothers, but with each passing day, his fears grew bigger. That was why he was trying his best to understand them more. Not just to be a good older brother, but to make their remaining time together as memorable as possible.

He would bother Choromatsu as he did when they were children, he would go fishing with Karamatsu and discuss their uselessness as older brothers in a joking manner, he would try his utmost best to understand Ichimatsu and get him to open up, he would play every single game Jyushimatsu would suggest for them to play, and he would try to understand Todomatsu's justification for being a social climber. All for the sake of them being together as long as they would live.

But that's selfish. They will all leave eventually.. and by some miracle, I managed to prevent that from happening. But in the future, they will actually leave to truly become independent. No buts or what ifs in that one.

He briefly wondered if Kamimatsu had actually done some good by tossing him in this dimension, where he would have no brothers to fuss over. They could all live without him, right? That was why the Osomatsu in this dimension was an only child, right?

Because Kara was independent and could live on his own, with his only problem being the fact he was so gullible and patient with people who didn't deserve it. Because Todo was able to survive in a world where probably everyone would want him dead, with his only problem being his unwillingness to trust the people who tried to show they cared for him. Because Jyushi, though disabled, had Ichi, who could control people with money and power, with Jyushi's problem being his incapability to literally get around, and with Ichi's problem being the object of assassination. Because Lonely- no, Choro, who had been doing things alone at his own pace for god knows how long, with his only problem being his lack of companionship to ensure his safety.

And even Oso.. who had left this dimension in order to switch with Osomatsu. Osomatsu didn't know how Oso could have lived his twenty-one years of his life without brothers.. but Osomatsu was honestly impressed he was able to live "normally".