Chapter 158: The Coriander

Kara could remember his days as a highschool student. He wasn't at the very top of his class, but he was considered to be one of the smarter kids, as well as someone who worked really hard and never once cheated in a test. He was a prodigy in his cooking club, loved by the club moderator, and he eventually became the head of the entire club, just before he graduated. He had a few admirers here and there, all of whom he politely declined with a piece of chocolate he packed to school that day.

One would think Kara's childhood was a dream; popular and well-loved among his peers, even the adults had high hopes for him. They said a bunch of things to Kara regarding his future; he could be a doctor that saves lives, a lawyer that delivers justice, an honest politician that gave the people what they needed, an inventor that could create things to make humanity advance even further. Truly he was a blessing. That was what they all said.

They didn't know Kara didn't want to have such pressure on him. In his free time, he'd study how to sew and knit until he was a master of creating scarves, sweaters, and cute creations. He'd study the art of cooking long enough for him to want to have his own bakery someday, perhaps a bakery that doubled as a cafe. A family would be nice, but Kara didn't really have anyone he romantically adored, even as a child. Perhaps he was just picky with women.

That, or he was completely content with the presence of Todo, his best friend since childhood.

He didn't like Todo in a romantic way, of course; but he did know he loved Todo deeply, and he held Todo in a special place in his heart. He cared for him like a little brother, always fussing over him and making sure he was okay. Anything and everything they did, they always did it as a pair. He couldn't stand the thought of being apart from him someday, as they were always together as children, teens, and currently, adults.

As children, Kara's parents had taught him to be nice to other kids. As soon as Kara saw Todo that fateful day, he knew he had to help him.

Bruises on skin, scruffy hair, clothes that weren't ironed, and anger in his eyes.

Those were the characteristics Todo displayed back then. Like a feral animal, beaten to a pulp. Kara could tell it wasn't the bullies who'd do such a thing; the children in their little school back then wouldn't do much other than call him somewhat mean names regarding his eyes or eat his snacks.

As a child, Kara already knew what abuse was. What he didn't know why was Todo's parents would hurt their child.

Kara wouldn't consider Todo an animal, but as he befriended him, Todo's behavior tamed. When he got taken in by the Kyabaries, he was much more calm, but he did have outbursts of anger sometimes, followed by him crying and sobbing apologies to not only Kara, but the parents as well.

Kara was blessed that his parents loved Todo as much as they loved Kara. They'd forgive him, gently teach him ways of expressing his anger that didn't evolve hurting himself, others, or furniture. Kara never felt unsafe with Todo even as he threw dangerous tantrums; he knew how to deal with it ever since he was a child. Thankfully, Todo never hurt him either. Perhaps the pink-eyed male had sensed Kara's hospitality and love towards him.

Todo did grow up to be quite attractive. If he looked like Kara, of course they'd have the same level of attractiveness; which lead to Todo dying his own hair pink for the sake of not wanting any attention from hungry eyes.

Kara considered himself average, but since he had such a kind personality and a set of talents, women fell in love with his simplicity. For Todo, however, it was mainly the male gender who found themselves enamoured by his feisty personality. But there were some who fell in love with his appearance. Odd. They looked alike, but Kara attracted more women, and Todo attracted more men.