Chapter 9: Family

D.J. flew into his window that he always kept open for emergencies and had to jump out. He flew in and quickly got undressed. When he was done, he carefully made his way into his living room and saw his mom watching TV and sat down. His mom jumped when he became in view.

"Don!" she said surprised. "What are you doing here? When did you walk through the door?"

"I wanted to relax and want to hang out with you and dad. I snuck inside so I could surprise you like this." D.J. lied.

"Aw. Did someone get dumped?" she laughed.

"Oh ha ha." D.J. laughed sarcastically.

"Well, your dad is in the kitchen grabbing a snack. He'll be here in a minuet." she said knowing he was going to ask.

"Less than that. So what are we going to do for the day?" D.J.s father asked.

"I don't know, I thought you guys would be ready for something like this." D.J. answered.

"Well, there is a festival going on in an hour so we could go do that." his father said trying to come up with something.

D.J. and his mom both nod in agreement since they can't come up with anything else.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

They arrive thirty minuets late because of traffic and are late to the lines of the rides. Lucky for D.J. though, his dad got them VIP passes so they cut to the front of the lines. D.J. wanted to ride every ride possible, although he was reconsidering the little kids rides.

The entire place was packed. There were stands with games and stuffed animals, food stands with delicious smells, kids running around screaming, and the most noticeable thing there was the rides. The roller coasters were the loudest things, humbling over every persons voice, and dominating anything else.

D.J. wanted to go on the first ride that he saw. He didn't give a flying fuck for the name, only the experience. He also had to make sure that his parents were on the ride with him, not being left out. He was able to convince them to join him in the ride, but was a little disappointed when some fat old guy was sitting next to his dad.

When the ride started, D.J. could tell his mother was nervous but not his dad for some reason. D.J. himself wasn't nervous himself because of all the shit he had been through, this was nothing. After the rides, the three of them went to go play games. D.J.s mom was able to play the ring toss and won only once.

The prize she earned was a small teddy bear that attached to a key chain. She decided to give it to D.J. just because. The rest of the time she didn't want to play anymore so it turned into a father vs son match on all the other games. D.J. didn't realize how fun they were.

Finally, they went to go get some ice cream. They were planning to go get some hot dogs before the ice cream but the nearest stand was closed so they were lazy and were going to get the hot dogs after the ice cream. The pathways were beginning to empty and dead leaves started to fall on the stone way.

They got the ice cream and decided to sit on a bench in front of a water fountain that shot the water a few feet into the air. Somehow, D.J. managed to slam his face into his ice cream and his parents started to laugh. D.J. felt stupid, but couldn't help laughing as well. D.J.s father had to find some napkins to help wipe it off his face.

They finally they went to go get hot dogs after a few more games and when they did, most people had gone home. There was finally room to walk instead of getting pushed to the side into more people or into the bushes that made the walls. There were a few birds eating crumbs of bread left behind other people.

D.J.s dad got them all hot dogs and with ketchup and mustard.

"Seriously, I will never understand why people don't like these toppings." he said puzzled.

D.J. shrugged than said, "Let's eat!" and dug in without looking like a slob. As the three of them ate, a bird flew by and stole D.J.s dads hot dog and flew off with it. The father chased after it angry and the other two were left behind laughing. The dad came back and ordered a coney dog instead.

The day ended and they went home. D.J. still had the little teddy bear that his mom gave him. 

He promised to never let it go.