Chapter 40: Rest

D.J. didn't know where he was going to or how long he was flying for. His body was working all by itself, he just blacked out during it.

He did notice that he was barely flying over a few cars. Blurs filled the side of buildings, but he could tell he made it back to the city. A few guys were waving at him from down below, and D.J. saw Darrell. It was at that moment D.J. fell straight to the ground.

He landed somewhere near the outskirts of the city, so it wasn't jammed packed with people. D.J. landed on a old, worn down taxi parked on the side of the road. He eventually passed out before impact.

D.J. woke up a while after. He realized he was in a bed, with bandages covering his torso and joints. His body felt swollen. Something he hasn't felt since his healing factor. He looked around, not sitting up, and saw he wasn't in an ordinary hospital bed. He saw usual stands holding fluids in them with tubes leading to D.J. himself, and empty trollies nearby.

There were no curtains or walls to block him off from any of the other people. D.J. knew he was in some kind of S.W.O.R.D. medical bay. Very few people were actually walking around.

D.J. tried sitting up but pain shot up everywhere within his back and arms. His chest was numb and his legs were... there. He laid still, taking in what had just happened to him. That fight could have never gone more wrong... possibly.

D.J. closed his eyes as he felt bandages covering his torn flesh. Wait, what?! Where is my healing factor?! D.J. wanted to freak out, but he knew if he squirmed, the more pain there would be. Just as he calmed himself, Darrell walked by to his left.

"Oh, I have a bit of explaining to do, don't I?" He said rubbing the back of his neck.

"No kidding." D.J. said, surprised by how dead he sounded. "Why am I not healing?"

"We had spent hours trying to figure that out. Now, I have good news and bad news. Which do you wish to hear first?"

"Bad news first." D.J. said flatly.

"Alright. First, we believe that you've been poisoned. The poison seems to be acting out on your flesh. It consumes it at a dangerously speed, fast enough to kill a regular person in a few seconds, but your healing factor seems to be fighting it."

"Anything else?" D.J. wanted to get all the bad news out first.

Darrell's expression drew cold. "The first leads to the second. You only have a few days to live."

D.J. took a sharp inhale of breath. Darrell snorted In laughter.

"It's a joke. Ha! Your face!" Darrell laugh a little.

"How is that funny?" D.J. would have yelled that but he had no energy to do anything. Darrell turned his body a letting out a little evil chuckle.

"Anyway, the real bad news is because the healing factor is fighting the poison, it can't reach your wounds. Your normal human healing would have to come into effect for that."

"Shit." D.J. wasn't at all worried about his healing factor gone, just how long would he have to stay in the hospital. "Well, what's the good news?"

"Good news, you will live. Although you would have to stay here for a few days, the healing factor should be able to beat the poison within that time zone. It would be helpful if it would only focus on the poison and not try moving on to the wounds when the poison is gone in one specific region, but I dought it would do that."

Secretly, D.J. had learned to actually control his healing factor to heal certain parts of his body. With it healing only one section with all it's effort, that region would be healed much faster than before, and D.J. would be able to use it fully by then. But he wasn't about to release that secret for a while.

D.J. turned his head. To face the ceiling. "This is going to be a long wait."

"Yes, it will." Darrell agreed. "But that's what you get for just running after those two. You should have let us help you. We could have taken them on together. But no. Your eagerness for vengeance was too much. Karma's a bitch."

He leaned against the bed and crossed his arms. "I'm afraid I have to leave as well. I have some business to catch with a friend. Your parents won't be able to visit either so you'll be alone. But don't worry. I'll be back within two days."

D.J. sighed. This wasn't surprising. Being a part of this giant organization meant a lot of work. D.J. felt lucky, though. This was probably the most any group of people actually accepted him. And since their professionals, that means Darrell could be pulled away at any given moment to take care of business, seeing as how he seems like he has a reputation among the other people he met.

"Alright. I guess I'll be off then." He flipped two fingers off his forehead towards D.J., signaling his leave. D.J. was going to try and say thank you, but it seemed like he knew what D.J. was trying to say, but he shook his hand in a refusal way, and walked off.

D.J. didn't know why, but he had great respect for that man. But one thing bothered D.J., Darrell was right. D.J. let revenge take a hold of him. So much to the point where D.J. might have killed the Twins if given the chance. That's not me. I'll work though it. D.J. swore he would never kill again. And he wasn't. He had to teach himself to let go.

But for now he needed rest. And so, he passed out.