Chapter 35: Questions... Again?

D.J. and Darrell walked through the crowds of workers doing whatever they did. Darrell did have questions for him. But he also wanted to see if D.J. had questions himself.

Eventually the two reached a desk covered in greasy, black parts that a normal person would describe as random. Some looked like parts for a car while the rest looked like spare parts from whatever else or for computers. D.J. realized what they were.

He saw one part that had straps that surrounds an arm. He saw wires that swirled up the forearm, all in one group. Finally, he saw a power box hooked up next it. Piecing it all together, D.J. realized it was a tool - or weapon - something that enhances strength, but could also slow mobility, depending on what the material was. D.J. would have to look into it.

Darrell sat D.J. down in a chair. Who knows what else he was working on. D.J. glanced over at his computer screen for a second and saw it with a bunch of files open, one of them showing a metal exoskeleton suit... Thing. Some of the parts looked awfully similar to the machine on the desk.

Darrell sat down in his office chair and leaned over, putting his hands together, and smiled as if he was about to tell a joke.

"So... What do you know about S.W.O.R.D.?"

D.J. thought for a moment. What did S.W.O.R.D. know about him? "I know you hide things from the public, and possibly even your existence from as many as possible, judging from my problems trynna find you."

"And who else was helping you try to find us?" His face started to turn into a smirk.

"Oh, you already know. A friend helped me break through your blocking codes, and viruses and everything. You tried to hide where I came from but we fought past that."

Darrell let out a crack of laughter. "You think you actually cracked us? For real?" He leaned back in his chair. "We let you see the documents."

D.J. wasn't all surprised. They were obviously a highly advanced and skilled governmental organization. What did surprise D.J. was the fact that they just GAVE them - him the documents?

"Your mother", he started. "basically tried to convince some of our higher officers if we could show you. She almost got the majority of the votes, but was off by two. From what I heard, at least."

That still didn't explain why he was given that opportunity.

Darrell spoke again. "She decided to do it anyways. And those who did want to help her did. They all went under cover and helped deliver those documents to you. She was willing to probably receive a life sentence in jail for you. Probably worse.

"But she didn't. Probably because when the rest found out - and keep in mind, it didn't take that long either - they couldn't just fire or arrest some of the head S.W.O.R.D. members. So they were left off the hook."

D.J. didn't even realize that his mom also worked for S.W.O.R.D. with his dad. Then it hit him.

"Wait!" D.J. shot out. "If you guys have documents leading back to where I came from, can you tell me about that Bone Crusher guy?"

"That is classified." D.J. slumped into his chair, but Darrell leaned in to whisper. "I'll tell you anyways. And its a long story. It started back long ago. His real name was Ben. I won't tell you his last name, but I'll go on with the story. His family was a really poor one. His father only had one option to support his family. He had to basically give his life up to a really bad gang. I can't tell you which gang it was, but anyway.

"His father died at a shootout with the gang against the cops. And you wouldn't believe who killed his dad." There was a pause and his face darkened. " Your dad was forced to kill his."