Chapter 33: Sweet Dreams

When D.J. was 4, he went to his first beach. It was somewhere off the coast of wherever. He couldn't remember where exactly. When he was younger, he was a shy kid. He always hid from everyone. Even those younger than him. And unlike all the other kids, he was really quiet. Rarely talking, except to his sister.

D.J. took his steps slowly into the yellow hot sand. Like all children,he dug his little toes into the sand to feel the warmth engulf his skin. He shaded his eyes from the burning sun in the clear sky. The water looked blueish grey. He slowly walked towards the water. As a wave splashed towards him and he jumped back in fear, his blue swimming trunks barely getting wet.

His dad walked over and picked him up. "The water won't bite. You'll need fine. It's warm anyways." D.J. held tightly onto his dad as he walked into the water. Then, the father placed D.J. onto his shoulders. D.J. loved doing this. He loved going up high to see views he wouldn't normally see.

His dad eventually walked until the water touched D.J.s feet when the tide was high enough. D.J. would reach down and feel the saltiness as it brushed passed his sweaty fingers. His dad had to steady them out for balance.

A voice called out. "So, you two wanted to get a head start before us? Meanies."

Dess turned around to see his wife carrying Sarah on her shoulders. "What do ya say we teach these boys to let lady's go first?"

Sarah, who was always active grew a smirk on her face as she nodded. The wife started splashing water at the two guys as they raced back to shore. Sarah couldn't help but laugh.

When they got back enough for D.J. to step into the water, they had an all out water fight. D.J.s dad made him less scared of the water, and Sarah made D.J. more active in things. For some reason, D.J. couldn't remember what was special about his mom, though.

Eventually, water got into D.J.s eyes and he walked out. His mom quickly followed after him. She walked him over to his red, triangular tent. She asked, "What's wrong, sweetie?"

D.J. was crying, not from the pain, but from the saltiness. He couldn't help it. He pointed to his eye that was red.

"That's an easy fix - don't rub it!" She said as she got out a washcloth and soaked it with drinking water. D.J. stood there fighting every urge to scratch his eye. His mom came back and lightly rubbed his eye with it. After a few seconds she stopped and so did the tears of annoyance.

D.J. gasped at the magic his mom just did. His eye no longer hurt. "Thank you, mum."

"It's okay. What's​ say me and you go get some ice cream when your eye looks better?" She said as she tickled the extremely scrawny and skinny boy.

He giggled and squirmed until she stopped. "Okay." He said with a bright smile and a cheerful laugh.

Then, all of a sudden, a bright light was shown, and D.J. woke up from his dream. His dad was at the doorway of his room.

"Time to go to work." He said walking out.