Chapter 31: Comfort

D.J. walked down the street with his headphones blaring. He was on Cristy's street. He spent long enough in his room, thinking about Jakkai. Thinking about something he said a while back.

"Look at me. Don, look at me."

D.J. raised his music up.

"Is this what you've turned into? Are you going to allow kids to do this to you? Answer me!"

"Why does it matter? Why does it matter to you?"

D.J. clenched his fist thinking more about it.

"It doesn't matter to me if you live or die. It matters to your sister."

D.J. squinted his eyes

"She never wanted you to turn into this. She saw the hero you had become. She saw it in your eyes. She made the suit just for you. She knew one day you would be able to protect yourself. Don't prove her wrong!"

"SHES DEAD!!! SHE DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE!!! STOP MENTIONING HER LIKE SHE DOES!!!"

"SHE LIVES IN YOU!!!"

D.J.s eyes began to tear up.

"Everyone sees her in you now. She believed in you. So make her proud. Save those lives."

D.J. ripped his headphones off. He reached Cristy's front door, but didn't go to it. Instead, he slumped down on the sidewalk. Was he really ready for others? Could he really open himself up to her?

It turns out, he had no choice. He was almost tackled from behind. Skinny, white arms surrounded his neck as D.J. felt Cristy's chest squeeze against his back. As Cristy hugged him, D.J. cried and hugged her arms the best he could.

After cleaning himself off, Cristy smacked him across the face, but then jumped at him for a kiss. After a minute of heaven for D.J., she pushed him away and slapped him again. She yelled at him for being seen at whatever went down at the last fight.

She pulled D.J. in her house, and brought him into her room. Her parents weren't home so it didn't matter. She slammed him on her bed as she got on her office chair and waited for an explanation.

D.J. told her about helping nearby people with Jakkai, still trying to keep Stun-Man away from D.J.. When he told her about Jakkai, she gasped, then, slowly, she got up, sat next to him, and hugged D.J..

D.J. hugged her back. He was glad to have her. She kissed his cheek. He turned his head and they touched foreheads.

She lightly kissed him. Her lips soft and warm. D.J. was going to smile, but she kissed him again, this time pulling him closer. To keep a little balance, D.J. put his hand on her leg.