Chapter 41: Free Falling

D.J. woke up to the sound of rumbling. His whole bed was shaking. When he opened his eyes, he was met with an orange-brown light hitting his face and a ceiling with bags and cases covered in a red net hanging above him. He turned his head and saw that he was in a tunnel shaped room with soldiers walking back and forth, doing their stuff. D.J. knew he was on a plane, but why?

"Ah. Look, lads. Th' boys awake!" A man with an Irish accent spoke above the rest. "Someone help me get him to 'is chair."

D.J., unable to fully move his body still, felt hands pick him up and lift him to a wheelchair. "Where am I?" D.J. fully speaking again.

"Tha'd be classified." The man said loudly, speaking over the planes engine. He walked up and started​ strapping something to the back of D.J.s wheelchair. "You'll be meetin' up with your pal Darrell soon enough, though. Whatever business he had, i's over already."

The man chuckled to himself rubbing the back of his neck. "I guess it makes no difference to you, now does it? You've been asleep all this time!"

"Sorry, I wasn't expecting this much of me gone." D.J. said, a little embarrassed.

"Don't worry, Laddie." The Irish man said putting a hand on D.J.s shoulder. "There's nothing to be ashamed of. It happens to th' best of us."

D.J. noticed at the end of the plane, there wasn't a pad that opened up but a giant wall with a small door that shut tight. One by one men went into the room but didn't come out.

"Besides", he said putting an earpiece in D.J.s ear and rolling him up into the room itself. It was so dark to the point where D.J. couldn't have seen anything in the room. "That's not what you should be thinking about right now."

She slammed the door shut and a little wind was heard from the door. "Wait, what was that supposed to mean?!" D.J. said frenaticly.

The Irishman​s voice sounded off with one last statement. "You'll figure it out on the way down."

"Aw, shi-" D.J. was interupted by doors suddenly disappearing from behind him and the wind completely sucking him out of the airplane. D.J. was spinning out of control through a cloudy sky. He couldn't see any details nor could he fly at the moment so there seemed nothing he could do.

As he continued falling his chair seemed to slowed down it's spinning and he could finally see beyond the clouds. He realized that he was falling straight into the ocean.

Just when he was about to start panicking, a loud beeping came from his back and he felt a sudden push from it's location. D.J. tried turning his head to see what had happened but the wind forced his head the other direction. All of the sudden, he felt the straps yank him to a stop and the shadow of a parashoot glide over him.

Water covered as far as the eye could see. Clouds somewhat covered the sky. He could see the plane he was in fly away dropping groups of people. But he slowly began to get closer and closer to the water. "Um, this can't be good." His chair was only a couple yards off from hitting the water. Since he couldn't move, he couldn't swim. And his chair was completely sink worthy. D.J. began trying to work out of his chair but he still couldn't move.

"Help!" He started to panic. "Oh no. Someone please! Help!"

Damnit! These people are professionals. They wouldn't kill me. But why isn't anything happening?!

Just as he was about to touch the water, the water began to bubble. Then, as if going down a drain, the surface began to break and sink into a hole. More water rushed in to take its place.

A black floor began to rise and D.J. landed softly on it. On his back. Soaked.

Some water was flowing in as well as a man in a black rubber suit walking up to D.J. And helping him up.

"Pretty scary fall, wasn't that, Don?"

D.J. immediately recognized who it was. "Darrell! Why would you guys do that to me?"

"Scientific reasons." He said as he took off the scuba diving set he had. The look on his face was filled with nothing but humor.

"Scientific... That's bullshit is what it is!!!" D.J. felt pissed that they pranked him like that but hey, it's S.W.O.R.D, what are you going do?

As the floor lowered, the walls began to close up top to cut off all the water. Lights flicked on and a hatch opened up, signaling Darrell to help lower D.J. into the submerged base they had.

Three men helped lower him into a square room filled with very few monitors. It was more bright, more white, in here than before. Blurry glass shielded the monitors there was one on the left and right side of the room. Separated. A double sliding door was put behind them showing the large gap between them. Darrell climbed down and took off his suit into more... Formal clothes.

"Why are we here?" D.J. asked. "And where is here, even?"

"I want to show you something. Although I can't really explain to you where here is." Darrell pushed D.J. through the doors into a hallway. There were people running down the hall with electrical equipment and science stuff. D.J. was too tired to be able to focus on them.

After a while of being pushed down the hallway, D.J. finally looked up into the ceiling and noticed that there was no ceiling​. In fact, they were outside.

"What the fuuuuu-" D.J. trailed on.

"Crazy, isn't it?" Darrell said. Still smirking. When was he not smiling at something? "We had a friend, someone you don't know put an illusion spell on around here for us. While our advanced technicians put a hacking signal so it can't be viewed with cameras or anything like that. Completely hidden from the outside world. And there's-"

All of the sudden, a small but strong electrical current flared through the hallway. It immediately reminded D.J. of the horrible day... But he knew it was something different. Nothing was damaged and no power went out. And there was only one.

"What was that?" D.J. said getting worried, feeling all staticy.

"That was what I wanted to show you." Darrells smile faded. "It's something that may help connect to what you are!"