Chapter 34: S.W.O.R.D.

D.J. didn't know what time it was. He swore not even an hour had past. His eyes were too exhausted to actually see the time. Even if he was fully awake, his dad was rushing him out the door.

"We leave in five minutes. Get moving." His dad said in a low and tired voice.

D.J. had jumped out of his twin bed, accidentally removing the blue sheets off of it. His grey carpet gave him a rug burn when he slammed his knee hard against it, rushing as fast as he could. His one sliding door lay at the foot of his bed with a mirror on it. When he was fully dressed, he realized that he only had three minutes to eat, bathroom, and out the door.

This is when he had to... well... use his powers. Everything started to slow down but reality didn't feel different at all. He flew through the kitchen to grab some random bag of pop tarts and flew through the bathroom, taking care of his business. By the time he was done, his dad was waiting by the door, tapping his foot. 

The two went outside and waited for... A bus? The bus was full of people not even dressed for work. They were dressed as if they were just going outside for a nice stroll. Even D.J.s dad. The night was still lit up by building lights and headlights.

They cut off any stars but D.J. felt like looking up at the sky during the bus ride. He didn't mind people as long as they weren't too loud or rubbing up on him. D.J. didn't realize where they were even after his dad and him got off the bus. Literally every person on the bus got off at the same stop as they did. They​ weren't following D.J. and his dad, but more of joining them!

They walked down a street filled with people dressed the same way they were. The street was packed. D.J. had to hold onto his dad's shoulder so he didn't loose him. Some of the people - or most of the people there were actually tourist. D.J. couldn't remember how many turns they took until they reached a dark alley way.

Looking forward to where the street led, it would have led them to water, and off in the distance was the Statue of Liberty. D.J.s dad pulled him along into complete darkness.  They wondered into the darkness, or at D.J. did. He turned around to see two of the same people from the bus follow them. Before D.J. turned around, his dad stopped.

D.J. turned to look at him, finally visible, open a giant metal door leading to a staircase lowering into the ground. D.J. paused for a moment. They were at the edge of New York, inside a very condensed, dirty, and very dark alley way and they were going into a dark staircase leading into whatever was down there?

D.J. coughed "Horror vibe."

His dad pushed him through the doorway and the two continued. The stairs eventually turned into an escalator. They were going very deep into the ground. D.J. eventually turned to talk to his dad. Lights eventually started to show on the handles so the long hallway was lit up.

"Where are we?" D.J. wondered.

"We are currently making our way under a very important and memorable gift." He said with a smirk.

Eventually the stairway came to a stop and two giant metal doors. As the two made their way to it, the doors slowly opened.

"Now, what is that supposed to -" D.J. immediately realized what it meant. "Are you telling me we are under the one and only - ehhe he heeeeeeee."

The doors were fully open, introducing D.J. to something he didn't ever expect. The room could have been several miles long. The ceiling was as big as any gym ceiling. Hundreds of people in suits were either running or walking between lanes of desks with a few papers and computers, while others had metal tools and junk on top of them, while other desks just had stuff D.J. wouldn't have been able to explain because he was too taken aback.

Off past crowds of people were giant metal robots, much like the ones from Titan Fall, walking around carrying huge containers. The place was so bright, D.J. had to squint to actually be able to see at first. His eyes eventually adjusted. There were small drones flying around carrying other things as well. D.J. was being pushed on through a few people to a clear walkway.

D.J. felt his arm being pulled along as he gaped at the amount of awesomeness this was. D.J. had so many questions he wanted to ask. He wanted to stop walking and just admire it all. To take it all in. But then a voice called out.

"Hey, Dess!"

The masculine, yet smooth voice called out to D.J.s father. They both stopped to see a muscular man jogging over to them. His short, black hair barely bounced with each step. He had a scar running down his left eye.

"So you finally brought your boy." The man said catching his breath. "About time."

He turned his head toward D.J. and stuck out his hand. D.J. Still not knowing what was going on or even how, took it in a hasty way.

"The name is Darrell. That's all you need to know for now." He turned his head back to D.J.s dad, "Papers are complete. You need to get started on seeing when our next drop will happen."

"Yeah, hurry up with that. I didn't train those soldiers for nothing." A second voice called out. A man with black hair that reached his cheek and red eyes walked up from behind D.J.s dad. "Their impatient and so am I. Ah, so he is here." He gestured towards D.J.

"Yeah, but he isn't here for your ass beating." D.J.s dad crossed his arms. "It's not like he needs it anyways. You saw how he fights."

"Yes, I did. He's predictable, open, and clumsy. Whoever taught him that was a terrible teacher."

D.J. immediately clenched his fist and grinded his teeth. Darrell stepped in front of D.J., as if shielding him.

"Watch yourself. We don't need another report with you in it." Darrell said with a grim face.

"You just wait", the unknown asshole countered. "He'll mess up and I'll be right. And one day YOU'LL be the one in the report. Just like your wife."

He strode off. Both Darrell and Dess stuck their toungs out at him while making a face.

"I gotta go," Dess said starting to turn. "Can you watch Don for me?"

"Yeah yeah, sure, fine. Uuuuuuggghhh." Darrell said as Dess left.

D.J. turned towards​ Darrell and asked "Didn't you want to talk to me in the first place?"

Darrell smirked.