Chapter 42: The Stone

D.J. was brought into a small working spot with a bunch of people on computers. They were all set up in front of one tilted glass. The space between them and the wall opposite of them could barely fit three people in it. The hall stretched for a few yards.

On the outside of the glass, the ceiling was gone and one giant room lay open to the outside. There were a bunch of contraptions scattered all around the room and in the very center of the room was the main show.

There was a big, circular machine holding a bright glass ball with a extremely bright, white marble inside it. People were running around it doing their own thing. D.J. got closer to the window.

"What is that?" He asked mesmorized.

"That," Darrell started. "Is the most powerful object in the world. It has been here for all of time. Ever since the big bang. Maybe even before then. Ancient civilizations throughout the world called it 'Gods Stone'. At least those who knew about it.

"I can't see what's actually in there." D.J. said squinting.

"We can get closer if you want. Just don't touch it." Darrell pushed him to an elevator and the two went down.

"What makes it so powerful?"

"That stone releases enough energy to power two Earth's for longer than the Sun's life span started all over. Its power was supposedly to teleport throughout the universe at any place at any time it wanted to and disappear faster than anyone could realize. To be honest, we didn't believe in such abilities, until we got our hands on it. I can't tell you what that story was, but I can tell you this. Because of the power it gave us, we have become one of the most powerful government groups in the world. If not, the strongest."

The doors opened and Darrell pushed D.J. in front of the big machine.

"I -" Darrell was immediately cut off by another S.W.O.R.D. member.

"Hey! Darrell! Come here!"

"Alright!" He yelled back. He turned towards D.J. and said "Don't move."

D.J. nodded then looked back at the marble. Something was peculiar about this thing. Maybe the fact that so much power was stored into this perfectly circular white ball, or the fact that with all that power, those were it's abilities.

A faint, small voice called out of nowhere. "Take it", the voice demanded. It sounded weak and crippled. D.J. didn't do as it said. He looked around to see if anyone was actually trying to say something, but no one was close enough to be whisper it to him.

"Take the crystal. Do it."

D.J. felt a sudden urge to destroy the case and grab the crystal. He knew he shouldn't but he couldn't help it. The urge... The feeling... Of power... It was consuming him. The more he looked, the more he grew attached to it. The more -

"DON!!!" Darrell screamed as D.J. felt arms pulling his limbs. D.J. snapped out of whatever trans he was in. He didn't even realize how close he was to the stone, or the fact that he was floating. As he looked at his body, the sound of bones cracking electrified up through his body and forced him to the floor. As Darrell and some guy in a completely black mask helped him to his wheelchair and ushered him to the elevator. As the elevator doors slid shut, D.J. got a small glimpse​, of people pushing a giant, medal ball to cover the crystal. At last second, the crystals brightness exploded, making it too bright to look at.

"What happened? What was that?" D.J. asked completely confused.

"The crystal spiked again. Everyday it gets more difficult to contain. It's already insinerated several workers. Don, do you remember getting out of your chair? Or even floating towards that fucking peble?" Darrell asked as if D.J. did it on purpose.

"No!" D.J. said immediately. "I don't remember any of that."

"Then what were you doing then?"

"I don't know..." D.J. was getting frustrated. "All I remember was a voice coming out of nowhere, and it kept telling me -"

"To grab the stone." Darrell finished. D.J. was surprised to hear that he wasn't going crazy. "That crystal... Is behaving."

The other S.W.O.R.D. member cocked his head to the side in confusion. D.J. looked at Darrell weird now too.

"Since its power is being held here for so long, we believe that it is trying to find different ways to release power faster. And that energy is messing with people's minds. You aren't the first to experience this, either."

"Still..." D.J. looked down in thought. "Where'd I get the power to fly again?"

The third man finally spoke. "Don't worry, Lad. You'll be okay with S.W.O.R.D. and i's pain in the arsses jobs."

D.J. flinched figuring out who it was. "You!" He yelled in astonishment.

The man took off his mask to show his face. His bright green eyes stood out against his short blond hair. "Me!" He answered D.J. "What about me?"

"What are you doing here?" Darrell stole D.J.s question.

"I be th' one who dropped th' boy off." He said proudly.

"I don't think we've met before. My name's -"

"Agent Darrell. I've read all about you." The man said shaking Darrell's hand. "My name's Aeden."

"Never knew you were Irish, Mr. Aeden." Darrell said.

"And you'll never know where he hides his gold either." D.J. grumbled to himself.

"I can still 'ear ya, ya know? And leave those rumors alone. Not all Irish people can laugh away that criticism." Aeden snapped. "Besides, I have better things to hide than gold."

"Like?"

"The unicorn hair I got from hunting unicorns." Aeden said grinning.

Darrell grunted. "They told me you sounded ridiculous. But this is really pushing it."