Two

(Shayla POV)

I laid on my twin sized water bed while reading a vanity fair magazine, while Rih sat down on my top my dresser reading a magazine as well.

"what we going to do tonight. I'm ready to get nice for real for real" Rih expressed. I continued flipping through my magazine and looking at the different hair styles and models.

"I don't know Rih... its Friday and I think there might be a party out the city"

When I say the city, I mean in midtown in the heart of New York city. Rih looked up at me with her lips twisted.

"Who the hell taking that bus?" she flipped through the pages of the magazine hard as hell.

I glared at her. "You going to be riding to get me another damn magazine if you don't stop flipping so damn hard"

She sucked her teeth. "Whatever" she said, not once looking up at me. I chuckled to myself and That's when I heard the keys jingle in the front door and I immediately ran to the front of the apartment and swung open the door damn near making my mom fall into the house.

"Damn it LaLa" My mom shrieked while stepping back

I laughed and saw all the balloons in her hand that said "congrats" "my graduate" "C/O 86" and plenty of more. I jumped up and down and she looked at me.

"While you jumping, you could be grabbing some of these damn bags in my hand"

I grabbed some bags and balloons and I see Rih coming to help.

"Hey Ma Vanessa" Rih said to my mom. My mom loved Rih so much, people thought she was my biological sister. Everywhere we went so did and the same was with her mom.

"Hey my Rih Rih" she smiled setting the bags on the kitchen table and finally plopping down on the love seat in the living room. I had to admit it. We lived in the hood but we were considered middle class compared to what most people homes and jobs consisted of. Before we lived in Baisley, my brothers and me, my mom and dad we lived off of St. Albans in a two story home.

I don't remember too much about it off the fact that I was so little. My dad worked as a post master in the post office, while my mom stayed home and watched us. She didn't have to work, only if she wanted too. At the time Arrion was 5, Marlon was 3 and I was about 9 months old.

Things were clutch, from what my brothers told me until my dad developed a bad drinking habit that also included my dad thinking he can put his hands on my mom whenever he felt like it. My bro Marlon told me that in the middle of the night we left and stayed at my auntie Cassie house over in rockaway park queens.

She lives in California now though, with my cousin Kim. My dad searched and looked for my mom begging her to come back home, which she didn't.

although it's been some years since my mom and dad seen differently, he has always remained active in me and my brother's life. Never missed a birthday, Christmas, hell even Labor Day. HE WAS THERE. And despite what my mom and dad went through, I thank my mom for never being a bitter woman and keeping her kids away from their father.

"Marlon stopped by today" I said leaning on the computer desk.

My mom looked up at me. "yeah I called him to tell you bring your butt upstairs because I needed to talk to you. I got some great news" she smiled.

I smiled at her and listened intensively so did A'rihana.

"What is it ma?" I hoped she said look out the window and your car waiting for you..

"I got a promotion at my job today baby" she said with a toothy smile. I jumped up and down excitedly. "Oh my god mommy, I'm so happy for you "I damn near jumped in her lap.