Three

Shayla

10:45 pm

This is some straight bullshit, I thought to myself while staring out the window in the back seat of the car. I was so livid with my mom for even thinking that this was okay. She didn't do this for no "gift" she did this shit so she can travel. I know yall think I'm being a little brat but I don't care. I don't know nun about the damn west coast except niggas is blue and got toting crazy. All I know is east coast. Now I got to look at these Jerri curl corny ass dudes.

"You know Shayla" my mom spoke. I continued to look out the window. "Not many people get half the shit you get and travel to the places you have gone. You ought to be grateful to have such privileges" My mom turned around and looked at me then back at the road.

"mhm". I responded. I watched my mom make a left turn onto Rockaway Blvd while Rene and Angela "I'll be good" played through her car speakers.

In 5 minutes, I seen her pulling into the parking lot of JFK airport. I felt tears swell up in the rim of my eyes. I got out the car while she was still trying to put it in park.

"Girl... Ima buss your." SLAM!

I slammed the door walking in front the car and folded my arms across my chest. I watched her put the car in park and gave a death glare. I didn't even care. I rather 6 ass whooping's than to be boarding my ass on this plane to California. She killed the engine and stepped out the car grabbing her purse and then popping the trunk.

"You working on a graduation ass whopping" she said pointing at me. I chewed my bottom lip and turned away from her. I did not want her to see me crying. She grabbed my luggage out the trunk and closed the trunk and put the alarm on her car.

"LETS GO" she sternly spoke as she rolled my bags passed me. I huffed and walked beside her.

We walked around the terminal, going through a couple of escalators and finally reached the airline that I would be flying on. I found a seat while my mom went and got my bags checked and ticket verified. I looked around and seen a lot of people reading, drinking coffee, even some homeless people lingering around. I put my Levi sweater on and through my hoody over my head and sunk down in the seat. I saw my mom walking over to me. She smiled slightly and sat next to me.

"Well, baby. At 11:15pm your boarding out of Gate 360 LAX. Sure wish I was going"

"You still can" I mumbled and looking away from her. She sighed and placed her hand on mines. I look down at her hand and up at her.

"Look Shayla, I know this is not what you wanted in all honesty but I accepted the position so we do not have to live in the projects any more". I looked away because once again I felt the stinging sensation in my eyes again.

"I'm tired of the piss in the hallways, junkies shooting up in the fucking stairways. Instead of hearing peace and quiet I hear the ringing of gun shots" she looked down. I felt like shit, but I still didn't want hear it.

"Ma... you didn't even ask me how I would have felt. I could've stayed with Marlon in far rock". I looked at her while tears streaming down my face. She chuckled.

"Marlon barely watches his self, besides he got all that gang stuff going on I don't need you around that Shayla. He does what he wants to do and aint no talking to him I just pray every night that the good lord protects him. God watches over babies and fools"

"you right, and he definitely aint a baby but ma Marlon always watches me. More than you think" I stuck up for my brother.

"Your auntie Cassie will take care of you and your cousin will always make sure your cute and hair is done. You know she a cosmetologist and she does some modeling" she smiled softly. I smiled back. On the strength of my mom I 'ma try to be optimistic. I looked down at the chain I was wearing. It was a double gold plated name chain my dad had gotten for me for graduation. He also sent me to California with 800 dollars, plus the extra money Marlon and Arrion gave me.

"I wish Rih came" I scuffed. I hate her right now. She going to be here living and running in queens while I'm looking at those curly cue head niggas. My mom nodded.

"well I told her if she changes her mind, I'll fly her out. Your auntie Cassie is okay with it. She recently moved into a 3 bed room house so there will be enough room".

"I sure hope she does have a change of heart ma". I sighed.

"ALL BOARDING TO LAX CALIFORNIA GATE 360...ALL BOARDING TO LAX CALIFORNIA GATE 360 11:15PM FLIGHT GATE 360" the loud announcement over the speaker said. I looked at my mom and we stood up and walked over to the gate.

We arrive to gate 360. I just looked at the long strip I had to walk to go to the airplane.

"Well" I said. "it's about that time" I grabbed my Jan sport backpack and placed it on my back while grabbing two other bags. My mom eyes got watery. Oh god I thought and she grabbed me and hugged me.

"I'm so proud of you stink. I'm doing this for us. Now it's time I make you proud" my mom whispered. I felt my tears fall heavily.

"I 'ma always be proud of you ma" I kissed her cheek and she smiled

"LAST CALL FLIGHT 86 GATE 360 TO LAX CALIFORNIA" The speaker said.

"Aright ma... I love you" I turned and said while walking.

"I love you too. Say hello to your auntie for me" she smiled and waved.

I started walking and turned around, watching my mom watch me walk away. I softly smiled and started walking towards the end of the terminal.

From queens to Cali. I thought to myself. I hope this summer don't be whack as fuck. I reached the end of the terminal and was guided to the plane. I found my seat and strapped myself in by the window and waited for takeoff. After the safety instructions I heard the pilot introduce himself and his last words were "next stop, Los Angeles California on the LAX. Thank you for choosing Delta and enjoy your flight. The plane prepared for takeoff. I watched out the window, lifting off the ground and leaving behind queens. "Goodbye Queens" I shed a tear and placed my hoodie over my head. Cali-forn-I-A here I come.

Comment. Vote.Subscribe :)