Sixteen

The next day...

Eric [POV]

I feel a lot better that me and Shayla made up. Ima try this new shit and see how I like. She aint my girl but I do care about her feelings. Especially since last night. I decided to go by my mom's crib and check on her.

I finally pulled up in the drive way and turned my car off. I stepped out the car and to the porch, opening the front door with my house key.

"Who's that?" I heard my mom say. She appeared in the hallway wearing her night gown. I smiled when I saw her.

"Eric" her face lit up as she realized it was me. She pulled me in for a hug and I kissed her forehead.

"Oh I'm so glad to see you baby. You okay? You looking hungry a little Eric" she said while examining me. I laughed.

"Naw mommy, I'm straight. Where daddy at?" I asked, taking off my jersey and sitting in the recliner chair.

Me and my mom spoke for about 2 hours, laughing and looking at pictures and reminiscing on old times. I left home cause once I started selling drugs, I felt like I didn't have to depend on my mom any more. I still throw her money and pay her bills and buy her things.

"Toya came by here last night with Jr." she looked at me with a cold stare.

"what she says?" I asked, staring back at her. My mom sat her coffee cup on the table.

"She said you haven't been by in almost two weeks to see your son. What the hell is that about?"

I honestly been so caught up in my own shit that I aint realize that I haven't been spending time with my son.

"I been busy ma I. - "

"you aint that damn busy that you can't see your son, don't play yourself Eric" she cut me off staring at me like she wanted to smack the shit outta me.

I nodded. "Ima go by Toya today" I fiddled with my thumb, causing her to smile.

"are yall two still?" she raised her eyebrows at me. I chuckled.

"Naw ma, me and Toya are not seeing each other in that way".

I stayed for another 30 minutes and decided that I need to go see my son really quick. I handed my mom 6 one hundred dollar bills. She looked up at me.

"Eric I can't take- "

"yes you can ma, it's yours" I cut her off and put my hands in my pockets. It felt good giving that to my mom, putting money in her pocket.

She smiled warmly and hugged me. "I love you but you know that already" she said to me patting my back. I kissed her forehead and told her ill call her later. I left her house and headed to Toya house.

*****

I pulled up to Toya house. She stayed not too far from my mom's crib. I parked my car in front her house and walked up to the porch and knocked. It's hot as hell out here, I thought to myself. I seen her open the curtain to look out the window. She rolled her eyes. I shook my head and heard the door unlock with her opening it, a bedsheet wrapped around her brown skinned frame and her curly hair all over her head.

"what Eric?" she said cracking the door open..

"what you mean what Eric, what type of greeting is that?" I questioned, pushing past her and walking into her house. I heard her sigh and close the house door.