Five

Shayla

I watched "What's Happening" for the past three hours on TV. I knew this "gift" was going to be some bullshit, I thought to myself. I had already gotten up showered, washed my hair and blow dried it out straight and changed my clothes to a pink baby tee that displayed my blue belly ring, light blue baggy jeans and some regular white Nikes.  "Looking fucking cute to sit in this punk ass house" I muttered.

I missed Rih so much. I stood up and walked to the kitchen to use the house phone. I punched in the number before I dialed her phone number.  It ranged three times. I was about to hang up.

"Hello?" Rih answered.

"RIH" I screamed. We both were now screaming into the phone speaker.

"LALA OH MY GOODNESSS I MISSS YOU SOOO MUCH" Rih started crying into the phone set. I felt my eyes water a little but didn't let them fall.

"What are you doing, how is Cali? anyone get shot'' she asked. I sucked my teeth.

"really chick? Did someone get shot? Hell if I know I been in the house since I got here. My auntie working and my cousin at school"

"damn so what you suppose to do. I'd say take a walk but shit you may end up on the back of the milk carton" Rih laughed. I chuckled and sucked my teeth.

Me and Rih chatted for the next hour and half. I looked at the clock and realized that It was going four o'clock. I tried talking Rih into coming on this side. "Just think about it okay?" I expressed whole heartedly.

"Yeah yeah, I'll think about It. I'll call you later. I Love you best friend" I heard her sadness through the phone. 

"I love you too. Bye" I hung up and slowly trotted to the front porch.

I sat down on the step and watch the little kids run and play up and down the sidewalk, some kids drawing with chalk on the concrete and people lining up at the ice cream truck.  I rested my elbows on my knees with my face in my palms.

I looked and saw a group of guys, about 4 of them walking wearing mostly black and blue. One of them stood out in particular because he was shorter than all the rest of them. They were laughing and talking.

One of them nudged the smaller one and nodded towards my way and he looked at me. I mean mugged his ass and they just kept walking past my auntie house.  What was that about? I thought to myself.

5:15 pm

Kim

I opened my front door to find Shayla sleep with a bag of lays on her stomach and three Pepsi bottles on the coffee table and the TV playing some movie. I cut the TV off and I saw her open her eyes. I looked at her.

"This what you did all day Shayla?" I asked while taking off my black smock that I wear at school.

"fuck else you expect me to do? Ion nobody around here. Didn't you tell me keep the door closed?" Shayla rubbed her eyes.

I turned my head sideways. "you couldn't even do that. The damn door was unlocked" I sucked my teeth and threw my keys on the table.

Shayla sighed. "I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a little home sick and upset with my mom still" she spoke, looking up at me.

I sat down next to her. "Naw I'm sorry, I shouldn't ask you what you do today as if you had many options" I looked down. There was an awkward silence.

"so besides school what you do out here?" Shayla asked. I shook my head

"Nun for real. I be at work or with this guy I'm sort of dealing with" I smirked a little.

"is that the Lorenzo guy your mom mentioned' Shayla raised an eye brow.

"yeah but she 'on like him. It's weird. She knows he a Crip when he not even like that no more" I said to her. Shayla twisted her lips.

"I mean... he in the gang but he doesn't be killing people and all that dumb stuff LaLa" I defended Ren.

"I mean I don't know" Shayla spoke." I like a nigga with a little thug. You know my bro in a gang and my mom aint rocking with it"

"Ohhhh yeahhhh how is cousin Lo and Arrion. They straight? I asked.

"Yeah they good. Arrion got a baby and he married" Shayla said, stuffing her face with lays potato chips.

"Oh yea... what about Lo"

"he moved out in my junior year. Can't leave the banging alone man" Shayla shook her head.

For the next hour we spent time catching up, walked to the store together to get some zig zags and chill out in our back yard. It feels good to have someone around my age to vibe with besides hanging with Ren and his crazy friend Eric all the time. I think I 'ma like Shayla being here for the summer.

Comment. Vote.Subscribe =)