56

June 1989
California State University📍

Shayla

"Alright Ms. Grant. You are enrolled in your summer classes. Once you finish these courses, you will be cleared for graduation" the receptionist smiled at me as she handed me my schedule.

"Thank you", I smiled as I looked down at the paper with my two classes and at the top of the paper it read: Graduating Senior.

It was really happening, taking classes nonstop, holiday intersession courses, dealing with the nonsense of Eric and I relationship, I will be in my final two courses to be cleared for graduation. A bachelor's degree.

It is a big deal to me, a snotty nose girl from the mean streets of Jamaica Queens who grew up in the projects, turned college scholar. I am tremendously proud of myself, but let me not get too big headed...I aint graduate yet.

Things have been slowly looking up for me despite how I still feel about E, I saved enough money to move out of Rih and Cube's place and got a small one bed room apartment just outside of Compton. It wasn't the best, but it was mine and I worked hard for it.

N.W.A was currently on tour and they're doing their show in LA tonight. Rih asked me was I attending. I don't think it would be the best idea. I know her, Michel'le and Kim are going.

As far as what happen to Kim after that situation with Dre and Michel'le, him and Ren decided to have a one on one fight and from what I heard, Ren beat the shit out of Dre, telling him "If you ever touch my girl again I'll kill you, brothers or not"

Ace was currently still making a bigger name for himself, seeing him all over Yo MTV Raps and magazines. He had mentioned something about Eric being a stunner, and Eric went on the Same show, saying:

"A bitch a Bitch and she aint shit; she knows who she is" and "New York niggas gets no ass and try they luck on the best side is the Westside and they are a bunch of pretty boy whack ass niggas. Cali niggas will wet em up"

I just hope this stays rap and doesn't spill onto the streets. Egos are large, especially when the world is watching you.

I walked out of the registrar's office and on to campus. I looked up at the sun, which was shining as bright as ever, sending a warm feeling through my body and a sense of security; something I haven't felt in a while. I feel that I am finding myself again and I thank god for this.

Today was beautiful and I wanted to enjoy it. I walked over to a big tree that was in the middle of campus as I wore my colorful sundress with my hair in a bang and ponytail. It was a new look I was going for, well for now.

I wasn't in a big rush to go back to the city, so I decided to write in my book of poetry. I placed my bag down and leaned against the trunk of the tree and grabbed my journal out of my bag.

I watched the people walk the campus, some scurried to class while some walked in groups. The air was filled with laughter, screaming, talking and birds chirping in the trees above my head. It was peaceful, and when things are peaceful; I take the time to write my poems; it was my outlet, it allowed me to be free, no judgement, no worries, just my words.

I instantly started writing my thoughts down, letting the blue ink bleed onto the tan paper;

Am I just a fool?

Blind and stupid for loving you

Am I just a silly girl?

So, young and naive to think you were the one who came to take claim of this heart