35

Queens, NYC 📍

Ace

"Ayo you sure that was the right move Ace, I mean dropping out of school? You might be wilding my G" Meek said with disappointment in his voice.

Meek was my right-hand man. His grandmother use to babysit us when my moms and pops went to work.  He kept me up to date with what was going on in the hood and brought me clientele for my production to keep me from selling drugs again.

"I mean even if it was hard, you could of just stayed for the bitches" he said jokingly.

I chuckled and brushed the weed crumbs off my pants and sparked the blunt with my red Bic lighter. 

I took a long pull of the bud as I explained my situation. I tried to keep the smoke in my lungs. 

"Sfffffff.  I had to get out of there. That Microbiology class was fucking me up, I took it twice and failed" I lifted my head up and exhaled a gray cloud that held my frustration.

"Besides I know what I'm doing" I reached across the table and passed Meek the blunt.

   "You sure? Because last time you said that we was stranded in Brooklyn broke asking niggas for a ride home." Said Meek.

He was referring to the time we went to Brownsville and we lost two grand in a dice game because I didn't know when to quit. While he was pulling the weed I looked him right in the eye.

"I payed you back right? So, shut the fuck up." He laughed and started choking on the smoke. "That's what you get stupid "I snickered.

As we continued to smoke, I started making beats on the table. I was chilling at Meek crib waiting for time to pass because I was supposed to go uptown to meet with Rich Porter at the Cotton Club. 

He was going to introduce me to Rakim.  Word spread throughout New York City that my beats were pretty-good. I did records with Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, and Kurtis Blow, just to name a few.

Ok so they weren't pretty- good, they were beyond spontaneous. But I mean they had to have been if I got Rakim's attention.

  "Yo what ever happen to Shawty you was telling me about" Meek asked as he cracked open a new white owl cigar. "Shaquayla or some shit ".

I didn't even have to think about it I knew exactly who he was talking about. "Who Shayla?" I answered as I tried to keep my cool.

"Yeeaahh Ace, don't front that was your bitch"

I laughed because he knew how I felt about her.

"Honestly I don't know but I do wish I could see her again".

He put the white owl down and leaned in as if he was going to tell me something he didn't want anyone to hear.

"Did you stick your tongue in it" I leaned in the same way and replied.

"You damn right" We laughed and dapped each other proudly.

|Cotton Club, Harlem NYC|

It's 1AM and I'm in the middle of Harlem's Cotton Club with a black and white Adidas track suit, black and white high top shell toe Adidas, a thick 20-inch Cuban link and a 4-finger ring that said Ace.

Doug E Fresh is performing on Stage and Meek is in the corner with his red Adidas track suit white Adidas and two of the finest brown skin beauties you've ever seen.  Alpo is by the bar being rowdy as usual with his group, Nas and AZ are tucked in their section with some women smoking blunts.