Nineteen

Shayla

A week has passed and Rih and I still haven't spoken. She comes and goes. Hanging with Kim and O'shea and the boys. But not me. I've dodged Eric calls all week. I don't feel like talking to him either. I'm just ready to board the plane and start my life at NYU. I heard someone knock at the bedroom door, breaking my thoughts .

"Come in "I said, still laying under the covers. I peeked and saw my Aunt. I groaned and put my covers back over my head.

"Shayla, that boy out there looking for you" she said tapping her nails on the dresser. I sighed and stuck my head from under the covers.

"What Boy?" knowing she was talking about Eric.

"You gotta ask?" she twisted her lips. "Get up and come out here". She said and closed the room door.

I brushed my hair up into a ponytail and put some sweatpants on, walking up the hall. I smell the aroma of my auntie cooking. I stopped in the hallway when I see Eric sitting on the couch looking interested on what was going on in the TV. He looked up when he saw me and stood up.

"wassup Shayla" he smiled and then frowned. "You look... different" he said. I rolled my eyes. I guess he mean I look like shit.

"what you want Eric?" I quickly said. He bit the inside of his cheek and looked at me.

"Can we talk please Shayla please" He asked me, reaching his hand out to me. I looked at it and groaned.

"I'm tired of talking and quite frankly we have nada to talk about" I nonchalantly spoke, picking at my finger nails not even looking up at Eric. I looked out the corner of my eye and seen my auntie cutting up potatoes and eyeing me and Eric. He nodded.

"I deserve that. I just wanted to give you this"

He pulled out a black long jewelry box from inside his light jacket pocket. I looked at it.

"It's a congrats gift. You know getting into the college you wanted to get into." He spoke, shrugging his shoulders. How did he even know? I didn't tell him. It must have been Kim.

"You have a good evening Ms. Cassandra" he spoke to my auntie and looked back at me. He went to the house door and closed it behind him as he left.

"well that was a lovely visit wasn't it?" My auntie asked sarcastically. I sighed and sat at the kitchen table with the box.

"should I open it?" I asked. My auntie nodded. I breathed and open the box. My eyes got big as hell.

"Oh my god" I screamed. It was a Diamond cut princess necklace with gold encrusted accents. It had the Letter E and the inside of the box was a note. I opened the note.

Shayla,

I hope you in good spirits. This is new for me to be writing notes n shit but here it goes. You are a beautiful individual and even though I was drunk as hell when I met you, you stayed in my head never leaving my mind. I know I haven't been the best friend to you but I'm willing to prove myself to you now harder than ever. We young and I make careless mistakes but I don't wanna risk our friendship cause of my stupidity and selfish ass antics. So this note is attached to your graduation gift and acceptance to New York University. Rih told me that and she also told me what happened. I aint no therapist but I know she loves you. Any way. Good luck with your future happenings Shayla, I know you'll be successful. Hopefully we will cross paths in the near future. Stay sweet witcho yo mean ass. One love.

-          E.

I sighed and wiped my tears from my eyes and slammed the note on the table. My auntie read over my shoulder and she squeezed my shoulder and rubbed my back.

"Mickey gotta bug bad for you mama" she said to me. I buried my head in my arms.

"I just don't know I didn't expect to come to California and end up liking no one period. Auntie my best friend mad at me, Eric is gone and I'm here crying when I should be happy that I'm bout to start he next chapter of my life" I cried, wiping my tears from my eyes.

"He hurt me so bad. I guess that's what you meant by busy"

"you will be fine Shayla. And Rih told me what happen. You owe her an apology" she said and raised an eyebrow at me. I shook my head and wiped my eyes. I've never cried so much in my life. I feel like a bitch.

"I will auntie" I said, looking at the Necklace in my hand. It glistened so beautifully like Eric's smile.

                                                                        ****

(Rih POV]

I walked in the house after being with O'shea and the guys at the studio. They are really taking this music thing seriously recording all these songs and stuff. O'shea told me they starting to get a little buzz around some of the local areas around here which I think is Dope.

Eric showed up to the studio, seeming a little disconnected. He eventually told me that he had stopped by Kim house and tried to talk to Shayla but was unsuccessful.

I see Shayla laying on the couch watching some black and white movie.

"Hey" I said softly. She looked up and half smiled.

"Hey".

I started to walk back to the room me and Shayla shared when I heard her say something.

"Umm Rih can we talk?" I heard her ask. I turned and looked at her for a second. I nodded and sat down on the couch.

"I'm sorry" we both said at the same time. We both chuckled.

"you first" I said. She bobbed and began.

"Look Rih, you been my best friend since kindergarten and granted we fight but never have we not spoken a whole week especially being in the same house. I'm sorry and I know that you really like O'shea and he likes you a lot too. I guess I was just a little jealous that everyone around me is happy and I'm just here looking simple. But I love you. My sister I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." She choked, with eyes full of tears. I smiled.

"You been crying a lot bitch you going soft on me" I laughed.

"Fuck you" Shayla laughed at me.

"But no baby I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have said what I said to you. Knowing what he did to you. I know you miss Quincy too, and you just miss home. I love you mama and I just wanna move past this "I smiled wiping my tears.

"we cool again?" Shayla asked me smiling. I smiled.

"Like the other side of the pillow"