Welcome To New Dark Ages

I started sobbing immediately and I didn't know what to do. I looked around the room and found a piece of paper folded up, with my name written on it.

I put it in my pocket and went back over to our bed. I pulled Megan's body out of it and carried her out of the room and down the stairs, putting the empty paracetamol bottle in my pocket too.

I put her into the car and ran back into the house to get her a blanket. I got into the car after the locking the front door and put the blanket over her.

I started driving to the hospital as tears were streaming from my eyes. She was gone. I could feel it.

I parked outside the front door and hauled her body out of the car. A doctor noticed me and got a bed for her. The minute they hooked her up to the machine after they placed her into the bed, I heard a beeping alarm from it.

The doctors starting pressing on her chest as they ran down the hallways.

A female doctor stayed with me and even though I didn't know her, I fell into her arms.

I noticed I was holding the blanket in my hands. I held onto it tighter. It kept me close to Megan.

The doctor brought me to a private waiting room where I was crying inconsolably.

I really needed someone.

"Sorry, ma'am, could make a call?" I asked the doctor when she came back in.

I realised a few hours later that I had fallen asleep, woken by the doctor shaking me.

"Mr Taylor, your friend is here."

Brian walked in and gave me a hug immediately. No words were needed.

I started bawling again. And so did he. It felt like my whole world was falling apart. If she was gone, I didn't know how I would cope.

Brian sat on a chair and I sat beside him.

"What happened?" He asked.

"She overdosed on paracetamol."

"Purposely?"

I nodded.

"Did she leave a note or anything?" Brian asked and I remembered the note in my pocket. I took it out and we both started reading.

Roger,

Please, don't hate me. I'm sorry I had to do this. I've lived long enough with this shadow over my head. Going on trial again would make things worse for all of us. I needed to take my own life to get rid of the pain. Please, take care of the kids. Tell them I love them so much. And that I'm sorry. You were the one person in my life that I've ever loved. You made me feel so special and I will love you forever for that. You were the one thing keeping me alive all this time. Thank you so much for that. But now, things have changed. I can't bear the thought of Ben doing what he did to me ever happening to me again. It used to happen all the time. I'm sorry, Roger. You gave me the best life I could ever ask for, but he had to come along and ruin it. I love you so much. I always have. Always will.

Don't think that you never got to say goodbye to me. You did.

Goodbye.

Megan x

I noticed a tear stain near the bottom of the letter and I assumed it was Megan's.

I folded the note and started crying again.

Brian and I had been in the waiting room for hours, nothing new to be heard.

I left the waiting room and went to the front desk.

"I was just wondering if there's been any update on Megan Taylor?"

"Let me check..." The receptionist left and went into a nearby room.

I waited until she came back out.

"Mr Taylor...." she said coming back out.

I put my head down and started crying again.

"She's in a coma. But stable."

I jerked my head up.

"What?"

The receptionist smiled a bit.

"Oh my god..." I said, running into the waiting room again.

"Brian, she's stable."

"Thank god!" He said.

I sat beside him again and breathed a sigh of relief.

I hoped she could still hang on.

I knew she could.

Sorry if I got a bit over the top writing this, especially the note... I was listening to Purple Rain on repeat sooooo blame that 😂