An English Gentleman

I sat at the table, holding my head up with my hand, breathing slowly, taking deep breaths. I didn't know what to do.

I had the napkin with Hooky's number on it in front of me, fiddling with the edge of it.

It was about 6 in the morning at this stage. I had left my husband in bed, sleeping soundly, hair spread on the pillow, tucked under the duvet.

It was just me downstairs. I had woken up from a bad dream. It wasn't so much a dream, more of a reflection of reality. It was me and Hooky, just talking, happy together.

I took it as a way of my brain telling me I would be happier this way, this was what I really wanted.

If only it were that easy...

I knew one of the kids would be up soon so I hid the napkin, cleaned the kitchen a little bit and then proceeded to mope around for another few minutes.

I heard a knock at the door which startled me but I opened it anyway. Stood there, was Brian.

I'd not seen him in a while and was overjoyed. We hugged and exchanged some friendly words, conversing briefly.

"What are you doing up this early?" I asked, making a cup of tea for him.

"Just gone for an early morning walk, y'know to get a break from home life and all that." He said.

I nodded.

"Any news? What have you been up to?" He asked me as I handed him his tea.

"Oh... well nothing really." I replied vaguely.

"I know that 'nothing really' it's not nothing." He said, squinting his eyes in suspicion.

"Well..." I started, considering telling him about Hooky.

"It's nothing really worth sharing." I finally said, dropping my gaze to the floor.

"Megan... if there's something you need to get off your chest, I'm all ears. I'd rather hear it than know you're bottling something up." Brian said, placing his hand on mine.

"There is something I want to tell you but... right now... here... neither the place nor time." I explained.

Brian stood up and poured the tea down the sink.

"Well... We can go somewhere. Come on." He said, walking out the back door with me following him.

"What a waste of a teabag..." I muttered.

"What is it?" He asked as we both headed down the road, no concrete destination, aimlessly wandering.

"I... I don't know if I can say it." I said, shaking my head.

"I won't think any less of you." He said.

"Wanna bet?" I asked.

"Not really, no." He said.

I groaned. "I never thought I'd have to confess something like this."

"I don't mean to rush you but the suspense is really killing me." Brian said.

"I cheated." I said, looking away from Brian into the distance.

He stopped dead in his tracks.

I sighed and turned to face him.

"Woah... what?"

"You heard me..." I mumbled.

"I mean I... wasn't expecting that. When?"

"Day before yesterday."

"W... with who?" He asked.

"Bass player... and singer for a new band."