The War (5)

You took a few steps back with hazy eyes and weak limbs. In a heartbeat you began running towards the direction the military car drove away. "Y/n!" Tom called but you didn't stop. "Y/n," he ran to you. It took him a few seconds until he caught up to you.

You were completely out of breath, not even your sobs were audible. Tom held you onto a tight grip so your body wouldn't fall to the floor. He carried you back to Wanda's home and sat you on the couch. She prepared you a cup of tea along with everyone else. "Why didn't he tell me?" You finally asked.

Martin knew since the beginning, "Because he doesn't want you waiting for him. Since he got the news he wanted to keep distant between you and him, possibly even break your heart so you could despise him. He wanted you to think he's an arsehole and that he used you. I don't know how long he was going to keep up with that, but he wanted no one else to know he was leaving until they asked for him. The day when he went to talk with you, he was utterly devastated. He didn't mean what he said; he loves you so much, he cried endlessly after that."

"He didn't only leave her," Amanda commented. You and Tom simultaneously looked at her. "I'm sorry, but I saw your symptoms and you were beginning to gain unexpected weight when you were eating nothing. The urine test I asked for wasn't for a project in our uni, I got a rabbit test," Amanda held onto your hand.

"You can't drink, smoke or do anything that's heavy duty for the remaining 7 months," she gave you the news. Wanda heard and almost dropped the tea. Everyone surrounded and embraced you. "We're here for you," James comforted you. Tears of joy and heartbreak escaped you. "Is Ben the father?" Wanda joined the group. You timidly nodded your head. "He always wanted to be a father," the both of you broke out into sobs.

Martin handed you paper and a pen, "Here, write to him. I know where he's off to and he's bloody stubborn so I'll sign my name on the envelope." You held onto Martin's hand, "Are you sure he'll read it?" He patted your hand, "He can't resist you."

Everyone helped you stand up and led you to a table. They let you be and waited in another room while you wrote to Ben.

Dear Ben,
I know I wasn't just a great shag. I wasn't a fling that you wanted me to believe. The first night we were together was honestly an accident, the second time wasn't. I reserved all my feelings for you because of my best friend, I wanted her to be happy which meant I couldn't be. Not until the day of the party and the week before that when we kissed.

There was something about you that drove me utterly mad, and it still does. You weren't there when I needed you the most, while they buried my father, when we hid in the tube during the endless nights the Germans dropped the bombs, and now. I need you here by my side because I love you immensely.

Martin told me the truth, how you planned to break my heart so I wouldn't wait for you. I've got to say, the heartbreaking part was a success, but I know the truth now. I still can't comprehend why you decided it best for us to be apart. I will always cherish the memories of the many nights we spent our time in my room and at your house.

I love you Ben, and I know you do to. That's why I will wait for you as long as I need to have you again by my side. Your friends, your family, and I need you. Most of all your child needs you. It isn't the proper way to say congratulations, but you'll be a father soon. Come back home to me, to us. We'll be anxiously waiting your arrival because we love you with all of our will.

Love,
Y/n

You let the ink dry and folded it. The rest were in the living room sipping on some tea. "Is everything alright," Tom walked to your side and assisted you sit down. You slightly shook your head and handed Martin the letter. "It'll take some time before he gets it, and if his stubborn arse ever responds, we'll get a response from him in the future," Martin put the letter in the envelope.

"Write it to the new address. I finalised the purchase; the house is ours. You are all very much welcomed to come with us. With the recent events we would love for everyone to accompany us," Tom said to everyone.

"I'm sorry to be a bother but I'm tagging along," James walked over to you and Tom. "No bother at all," you weakly smiled. "Y/n will need a nurse for when the baby comes. That's a good thing one of her best friends is a nurse in training," Amanda walked over to you. "Where Amanda goes, I go," Martin held onto her hand.

"My baby will need their grandparents," you gazed over to Wanda and Tim. They walked over to you and Tom as well. "Very well then, its settled. We'll all be moving to our new home," Tom cheerfully said.