The War (14)

"Ben, what do you remember?" You cautiously enquired. He kept his head low, "Everything." You placed a hand on his cheek, "Baby.." He shook his head, "I need time to process this." You felt your heart drop to the pit of your stomach, "It was a grave mistake."

"It was," Ben surprisingly said in a calm tone. You didn't want to move and let him be on his own. "I.. I need to talk with Martin," he stood up from his position and exited without looking at you. Ben stood outside the door with a knot in his throat. He deeply inhaled and continued his way downstairs.

"Martin can I speak with you?" Ben peeked his head out to the backyard. "Sure," he went inside but Ben led him to the front porch. Martin noticed Ben's dazed state, "Are you alright?" Ben shook his head, "No, not really. What happened with Kit?"

Martin was brought aback, "Well after you gave him a beating, Brendon and I took him to the hospital. He attempt to return but everyone kicked him out, even Y/n." Ben just hummed and gazed down to his knuckles. "Ben, he tricked everyone. Kit seemed like a great man at first; he made everyone laugh during the first weeks and we trusted him due to your letter, so we actually got to know him," Martin informed.

"Did Y/n and him immediately start.." he couldn't help himself to continue. "No, it started a few weeks after Kit arrived. Although we never actually caught them, it was evident by Y/n's change in attitude," Martin confirmed. Ben was thinking to himself.

"He spoke marvels about you and him, mostly you since he saw Y/n lighten up hearing you saved lives. Out of nowhere he gradually began to change his stories into nightmares, he spoke of the horrible things at the base and something about hookers all over you," Martin said.

"That's the thing, I don't understand how Y/n believed those lies," Ben breathed out. "Because he caught her in a vulnerable state," Martin informed. "What do you mean," Ben enquired. "There are times where she doesn't eat at all and that's when we know she's falling down a pit because she misses you. It was our mistake, we told him about her situation because he genuinely seemed concerned. That's when Kit changed your heroic stories into horrible tales and Y/n fell into his trap."

Ben seated himself on some steps, he was taking in all the information. Apart from remembering the night he caught you and Kit, he can recall the amazing memories you and him created. Ben held his head in his hands and closed his eyes. He kept thinking to himself, "Thank you Martin."

"Anytime mate," Martin went back inside leaving Ben alone. You bumped into him, "How is he? Is he mad?" Martin, himself, was confused with Ben's reaction, "He's thinking, but I don't think he's mad." A little sighed escaped your mouth.

After a couple of minutes Ben entered the home again, he followed his son's laughs. "Daddy play with me," James said from the rug he was on. Ben smiled, "I'll be with you in a minute, I need to speak with mummy first." You gazed to him and walked his way.

He led you to the kitchen where the both of you could get some privacy. "Ben I'm so sorry," you repeated once again. "I know you are," Ben silently said, "Something deep inside me is telling me to ignore you.. but I can't do that. Martin told me what happened and I honestly don't know what to think."

You held onto his hands anticipating to hear his next words. "I should be disappointed and to be frank, I am, but I get it. Being a single mother, with me going to war and breaking your heart, it mustn't have been easy to deal with anything at first. We rarely wrote to each other anymore, you had just lost your brother and I wasn't there to help you completely heal from that wound. I get it and I'm sorry as well," he pulled you close.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, it was me who did this," you blamed yourself. "It was both," he rested his forehead on yours. "I fell for you once again the second I saw you at the base, I didn't know who you were but my heart did a thing when you came close. Now that I remember, I know why I felt that way, it's because I love you," Ben caressed your cheek as he spoke.

"You proved to me that you love me as well, with the countless times you told me and with your actions at the base. You stayed by my side the whole time, keeping me company in a horrible habitat. It was my mistake to send Kit here, I know if he wouldn't have ever come then you would have never even thought of sleeping with another guy," he kissed your forehead.

"Forgive me for sending a mistake home. It's our mistake that we are now cleaning," he wiped away a stray tear. "I'll always forgive you, I'm so sorry," you cried into his embrace. He shushed you with a soft kiss, "Don't cry anymore my darling." You felt relief with his tender hug and whispers.

He wiped away your tears and kissed each cheek. "Ben, I should tell you that Kit randomly comes back at night and knocks on the door. He never leaves until someone answers," you said with a hoarse voice. "Thank you for telling me," he held your hand and walked you to everyone in the living room.

Sarah slightly jumped from excitement seeing you two were holding hands after the talk. "Daddy will you play with me now?" James stood up and went to his father. "Of course I will," Ben kissed his son's cheek.