The War (12)

A/n: THIS STORY IS LONGER THAN I ANTICIPATED!!

***

"What in the actual fuck is going on? Who are you? Who am I? Where am I?" Ben promptly sat up but greatly regretted it. "Stay still," Amanda commanded and directed to the other nurses nearby and ordered them a few things. She began to do her routinely check up on her patients and checked Ben's vitals along with the other things.

"I don't have time to answer any questions, I must get back but I will answer all your questions once my shift is over," Amanda held tightly onto his hand. "All you need to know right now is that you're okay, and you'll be okay," she looked at him once more before heading to the emergency room.

Night came sooner than expected; Amanda was exhausted but she still went to Ben's side. "Have you eaten anything?" She enquired and he didn't respond. "Ben you've got–" "–What's my full name?" He cut her off.

"Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch, that's all of it. You present yourself just as Benedict Cumberbatch but your friends call you Ben," Amanda responded. "And we're friends?" He enquired. "Very close friends," she responded. Ben eyes grew a bit wide, "You mean as in.."

"Oh no no no," Amanda took out the picture again, "You see all of these people? We're all best friends, we love each other unconditionally." Ben attentively observed it better; he kept staring at you. Before he could ask anything Amanda went over the people in the picture.

"See, Martin and I are dating that's why we're holding hands. He's one of your best mates along with James here," she pointed at them. "This is Sarah and Brendon; two  exchanged students from America who fell in love here and became our friends so they decided to stay," Ben just squinted his eyes trying to grab all this attention again.

Amanda skipped over Tom. "What about him?" Ben questioned. "He's.. that was Tom," Amanda somberly said. "Was?" Ben enquired. "Yes, out of all these people, Tom was your best mate and we lost him to our current event," Amanda slowly informed.

Ben gazed around the room and gradually came to a deduction, "We're at war." Amanda nodded her head, "Tom was shot by the Japanese." Ben showed no emotion to the information instead he gazed back at the picture. "She looks like him," he pointed towards you and Tom.

"That's because they're twins," she gave the picture to Ben. "Is that me?" He asked pointing to himself. "Yes, and the twin sister is Y/n"

Ben's eyes closed for a minute, he felt his world spin with just the mention of your name. "Ben," Amanda's voice sounded faded, "Ben," she repeated. He loudly gasped as he opened his eyes, "What the hell happened?" Amanda checked his eyes and his pulse, "I- I don't know."

"Benedict James Cumberbatch," Ben unconsciously whispered. Amanda shot her gaze to him, "Where did you hear that name?" Ben shrugged, "I don't know, that's my name and that other blokes. Does it mean something?" Amanda got another picture out, you were in bed with your son.

Ben got ahold of it, he skimmed his finger through it and whispered the name again. "That's your son," Amanda said. "My what?" Ben was brought aback; Amanda couldn't answer since he shut his eyes together. He griped at the covers of his bed and began to slightly tremble out of nowhere. "We named him James in honor of Y/n's and Tom's father," Ben said.

Amanda smiled to herself, somehow Ben was remembering, "Ben, what else can you recall?" He looked down to his knuckles, "Who's Kit?" She sat still, "He's.. someone else that you'll learn about. He's no friend." Ben nodded, "How about my mum and dad, are they okay?"

"Filled with euphoria since they have their grandson and the war is coming to an end. They ask about your status every single day, I'll write them a letter that you've woken up." Ben held onto Amanda's hand, "Don't tell them I can't remember."

"You can't what?" Another voice spoke from the entrance. Amanda stood up, "Y/n.." You strode to the bed Ben laid in. "Ben, I'm so sorry," you held onto his hands and kept your sobs in. "Sorry about? Oh you're Tom's twin, are we best friends too?" He sheepishly enquired.

"What, you're not infuriated?" Amanda tried to intervene but you didn't let her. "Why should I be?" Ben questioned.

"How did you get in here?" Amanda got in between you and Ben. "Easy, I talked with the lieutenant," you respond. "I never caught your name," Ben timidly spoke up; he seemed to be blushing. "For God's sake, she's the mother of your son," Amanda breathed out.

"What?" Ben and you asked simultaneously; Ben from shock and you because you had no idea why Ben couldn't remember your name or why Amanda had to give him information he already knew.

"James is ours?" Ben enquired. "What's going on?" You became skeptical of the whole situation. "Ben can't remember anything because of his head injury," Amanda spilled the news for you and him. "I know a few things now," Ben said.

"What can you remember?" You anxiously asked. "Bits of my parents, our son," he smiled, "and that's about it."

"Do you remember the barn?" You held onto his hand. He smiled, "Our first time." Ben unconsciously said making you and Amanda smile. "Is that correct?" He enquired. "Yes," you leaned to give him a kiss but held yourself back. "Why did you stop?" He cupped your cheek.

"It wouldn't be right," you timidly answered. "Do you have another..?" Ben couldn't get himself to finish. "No.. not anymore," you responded. "Was I not the only you've had a relationship with," he still kept his hand on your cheek and lips close to yours. 

Frightened, you shook your head. "What happened to him?" His thumb went to your lonely lips. "You happened," you held onto his hand. "I must've done well," he smirked. A light chuckle escaped you, "Yeah, you gave him a very well deserved beating." Ben seemed surprised, "Really?" 

"Yes and at the same time I deserved it as well," you said departing from his touch. He didn't let you go far, "Baby, what happened?" You smiled at the name, "Something horrible." Ben kept his hand on yours, you were going to continue but he stopped you. "Wait, I know I don't remember anything but if I actually did beat that guy then something important happened."

You and Amanda nodded at him. "Do I want to know what happened? Is it going to make me get upset with Y/n?" Ben enquired. "Yes to both," Amanda respond. "Then I don't want to know," Ben said. You and Amanda became perplexed, "What?" 

"You heard me, I don't want to know what happened. The old Ben with his past memories is gone. I'm barley learning I have a son and parents that live in a house with some mates I can't recall. Y/n you are truly, utterly brilliant. The second you walked in I felt like jumping out of this bloody bed. I can't possibly believe that the old Ben was disappointed of you," he explained. 

"Ben.." you croaked out. "I really don't want to know," he pulled you in connecting his lips with yours, "because all I care about is getting you to be my girlfriend." You rested your forehead on his, "I love you so much." His lips slowly perked up, "You're mesmerizing." 

Amanda wasn't sure what to do, either lead you to her bunk or let you rest with Ben. "So tell me more about us, how we met, when we got together," he sheepishly spoke to you. Amanda encouraged you to stay while she went to rest.