The Scientist

A/n: Quick reminder: Request are open. This one was requested by AC_A99 sorry it took so long to finally publish it 😄

***

The music was loudly radiating the home once again. Ben felt pain playing your favorite playlist and letting the speakers boom in the living room. The house was a mess with dust everywhere, dirty dishes and undone laundry.

Ben sighed as he got up from his couch spot and went to the room you and him shared. A rope slightly hit his head when he gradually walked to his room. He gazed up to see the entrance of the attic.

Contemplating with himself he pulled down the rope making stairs come down. Slowly but surely he climbed the stairway. The music was still audible up there. The attic was even dustier than downstairs; it was humid and enclosed.

He crouched and walked around until he stumbled a small box that didn't seem to be as dirty as the rest. With curiosity Ben sat down and brought the box in front of him. The Scientist by Coldplay began radiating the house.

"Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are"

Ben took the cover off the ragged, yet clean, box that revealed souvenirs from all around the world. No wonder Ben found it oddly heavy.

"I had to find you
Tell you I need you
Tell you I set you apart"

He took out a small jar of white sand and timidly smiled. You had never visited a beach before until Ben took you to Bora Bora, Tahiti on a date.

~
"Oh my god Ben," you smiled as you touched the beach sand for the first time. "It's beautiful here," Ben caught up to you and hugged you from the back. "Not as beautiful as you," Ben whispered into your ear making you blush.

"Is this really our 6 month anniversary gift?" You enquired mesmerized by the view. "Yes, but there is so much more to this trip," he began to leave sweet, tender kiss on your neck.
~

Ben set the jar aside and continued observing the items.

"Tell me your secrets
And ask me your questions
Oh, let's go back to the start"

He came across some chopsticks you bought but have never used. They were traditional Korean chopsticks you came across in Seoul.

~
"Darling I could've bought a whole set for you," Ben chuckled as he saw your recent purchase. "I just wanted to hoard a pair," you laughed. "You don't even know how to eat with chopsticks," he kissed your nose."

You shrugged, "I know." He held you by the hand and continued to walk through the busy Korean street. "Don't you need to be at an interview in an hour," you questioned. "Yes but I would rather spend my time with my beautiful girlfriend," he kissed your temple.
~

Tears began to form from the flashbacks he was having.

"Running in circles
Coming up tails
Heads on a science apart
Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard"

Apart from keychains and other souvenirs from around the world, Ben grabbed onto your never opened bottle of wine you got ahold of in Italy.

~
"Love," he chuckled, "did you buy this bottle?" You gazed at it and grabbed it from his hands, "Yes." He brought you into a warm embrace, "They sell these bottles back home you know." You nodded your head, "Yes but this one is special since I bought it here."

Ben loved your silliness. "Anyways we'll only open it once we celebrate our fifth anniversary being together," you kissed his neck. "Why not our tenth anniversary?" Ben enquired. "Fine fifteenth," you chuckled.
~

"Oh, take me back to the start"

Ben couldn't keep in the tears any longer. He let them flow with the amazing flashbacks he had of you and the few travels you and him went on. Ben sniffled back a few tears and saw a camera deep down in your treasures.

"I was just guessing
At numbers and figures
Pulling the puzzles apart
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart"

The camera had no battery but Ben knew exactly where the charger was. He traveled back down and went to one of your many cabinets. You had everything organized, labeled and in order. He got ahold of the charger and plugged it in.

"Tell me you love me
Come back and haunt me
Oh, and I rush to the start"

Ben sat up from the bed when he saw the camera turn on. He held it in his hands and looked at the videos you had on there. Most of the pictures were of him smiling and looking at the person handling the camera.

"I love you," the recorded Ben was heard. "I love you too Mr. Cumberbatch," you said after him. You had set the camera aside on top of a towel so the sand wouldn't get on the camera. Ben nuzzled his nose on your neck; his hands traveled to your waist.

His fingers began to tickle your sides making you yelp and laugh. "Ben," you said in between laughs, "Ben." His chuckles rumbled through the audio.

The screen went black.

"Running in circles
Chasing our tails
Coming back as we are"

Ben stayed in bed looking at the other videos you had captured. Beautiful pictures of landscapes once in awhile appeared. He couldn't take it anymore. His eyes were crimson and his heart ached.

Ben grabbed the car keys that were on the kitchen counter and went to the parked car. He observed the brand new car before he got in. The dent and smashed windows had been replaced, but the agonizing pain was still present.

He timidly sat on the drivers side and turned on the engine. Everything was coming back to him.

"Thank you," Ben tipped the valet guy and opened the door for you. He walked to the drivers side and got in. "Where to now my love?" He questioned. "You've already brought me to an amazing dinner, your choice," you gave him chaste kiss.

"Home it is," he held onto your hand as he made his way out of there. You had put all the windows down and turned up the volume to the stereo; you sang along with the music playing. Ben would occasionally turn to you and admire his view.

Ben waited behind another car to pass an intersection. No one heard the roaring engine of the speeding car. Ben was in the middle of the intersection when he gazed to your side. Everything from there went in slow motion.

You were contently singing along to a song playing; Ben had a broad smile. The headlights of a car became visible on your side. Somehow they became closer and brighter. It got to the point where Ben became dazed from them, he immediately lost his smile realising what was happening.

The screech of tires and the sound of smashing windows echoed in Ben's mind. He opened his eyes and saw he was tightly gripping onto the steering wheel. He let out a staggered sigh and wiped away his tears.

"Nobody said it was easy
Oh, it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard"

He arrived to the hospital you were currently at; Ben took the camera with him. He sat on a chair beside your bed. "Hello love," his hoarse voice croaked out. He lifted up the camera, "Look what I found."

Ben roughly swallowed attempting to keep in his tears. His hands lightly trembled and his breathing was all staggered. Ben's vision became blurry from all the tears in his eyes. He lost it once he touched your hand. It's been a month since the accident and there has been no sign of you waking up from your coma.

"I'm going back to the start"

*****

A/n: Y'all better believe I cried writing this. AC_A99 thanks for requesting