Fire Drill (1)

"As said in the announcements, we'll be having a fire drill that will take at least 15 minutes to get through, so if all of you could leave your book on page 342, that would be great," you announced over the high school students. Most of them were usually nice and followed directions, while others didn't even pay attention to your class at all.

Not a minute later, an annoying pitch noise roared through all the speakers of the school. Everyone knew what to do, they got out of the class and walked to their designated place. You were one of the last ones to get out to lock the door of your classroom. From across the hall you could see another teacher locking his room. You followed the rest of your students that were going his direction.

He caught up to you once he saw you, "Hey." You smiled at him, "Hi, how's your morning going?" He shrugged, "Like any bloody Monday morning. I have a shit ton of coffee in my system." You put your hand over your mouth attempting to muffle a laugh, "Ben we're not supposed to curse in front of students."

"The students don't mind, they actually like me better," Ben had a timid smirk on his expression. "Maybe the students don't but if admin hears you, they will be livid," the both of you began to walk along with the students arriving at your designated place. You took out a binder with all your students names and began calling name by name to check they were all there.

Ben's class was right beside yours. After checking every student you got a participant to hold a green card saying everyone was in your line. Ben did the same. You and Ben usually took advantage of the fire drills to talk about assignments to handout and what were the upcoming chapters the students should read. You and him taught the same year and course.

This time it was different. Ben and you just chatted away while awaiting the signal from the principle saying it was okay to go back inside. You talked about anything really. It started with the upcoming assignment but then switched to food and so on. Ben was always good at making you laugh and giggle, even when you're not in a good mood.

Your students really appreciated it when he cheered you up, that way you weren't so harsh on them. Sarah, the student who volunteered to hold the green card, attentively gazed at you and Ben. She was one of the first in line and just heard snippets of your conversation with him.

Ben wasn't really fond of the admin and their cruel laws put upon the students so he tended to make jokes about the administration. His jokes got to the point where you leaned up against his shoulder and attempted to cover your laughter from your surroundings. Ben chuckled along with you as he put an arm around your waist. You gazed up but only saw your reflection in his sunglasses.

You couldn't see his eyes but his smile gave you the impression he was having a good time with you. "Erm..," Ben stuttered, "I-is this a new blouse?" You thought the question was out of context and giggled at it. "Yeah it is, Justin bought it for me the past weekend," you said slightly pulling down the shirt. It was extremely hard for you to stop trying to catch a glimpse of his eyes, you wanted to look at his beautiful irises.

The speakers of the school saved you from the awkward moment that began to appear. Sarah gave you back the green card and observed as you and Ben silently walked back to each other's classroom.

Everyone got in their seat. With difficulty, you got the class to quiet down for you to begin the lesson. You were done fairly quick leaving the students enough time to pack up and leave as soon as the bell rang. Sarah stayed behind and went next to your desk, "Hey Ms. [L/n], I have a question?" You smiled up at her, "Yeah, what's up?"

Sarah hesitated for a few seconds but finally stopped fiddling with her fingers, "Are you and Mr. Cumberbatch a thing." You knitted your brows, "A thing?" She nervously cleared her throat, "Yes, as in a relationship."

You slightly shook your head with a light chuckle, "No, we're just great friends. He's in a relationship while I'm in another one." Sarah promptly recovered from a pout that was forming on her lips. She hummed in acknowledgement and walked away without another word.

You thought the moment was peculiar and walked into the hall. Ben stood outside greeting the students and eavesdropping on the conversations the students had as they passed by. You walked up to him, "A student of mine just asked me if we were together."

Ben did a double take, "As in a relationship?" You nodded with a chuckle, "Yeah, it was Sarah who asked." He rubbed the back of his neck, "That's quite funny." You shifted your gaze up but found it to be a great mistake. His gorgeous eyes locked with your eyes, "Yeah...it is."

The warning bell rang, meaning everyone had to be in class. "I'll see you at lunch," you said losing eye contact with him." He faintly smiled and entered his class. You walked back to your class with hundreds of thoughts racing in your head.