The War (6)

"Cumberbatch, you've got mail," someone yelled from across the room. "I just got here," Ben replied. "Well you're a lucky bloke mate, it's from a Martin Freeman," another soldier in training said. He and the rest had arrived to their base.

Ben got up from his seat and took the envelope from the guy, "The name's Kit." The guy shook Ben's hand, "Ben. Glad I made a friend on the first day." Kit snickered, "See you around." Ben walked to his seat again and opened the pending letter. He instantly recognised your handwriting. Ben didn't allow himself to continue reading it, but just like Martin presumed, he couldn't resist you and continued reading it.

He covered his mouth in astonishment and cleared his appearing tears. "I'm going to be a dad," he weakly spoke to no one. Ben got his bag and walked to the nearest table. They provided paper and pens for everyone to write back.

Dear Y/n,
I'm so sorry my love. I didn't know what made me think that was the best for us. I don't know what's going to happen, or for how long this will last. It could go on for years, I wouldn't want you to be waiting for me when you can form your own family. I'm truly sorry darling, I never meant those harsh words.

I've always wanted to have a family of my own, even before our first night I knew it was you the one I wanted to be with. Now I've done it, I finally have my own family with the only woman I adore. I love you my love and our child. I can't believe I'm going to be a dad. You and our child will always be the source to my strength.

So far I've got a safe post. It's my first day here and I already got my first letter from the love of my life. I miss you so much, I missed you before I left, the second I left and now. I love you baby and I love our baby. As I said before, you are my strength. I will do whatever I have to do to get back to my family. I love you my darling.

Love,
Ben

His eyes became teary as he finished the letter. "This Martin bloke must be important to you," Kit said from the side. Ben rapidly wiped away his concealed tears, "It wasn't Martin, it was from my.. my girlfriend." Kit took a seat beside him, "Is it over between you two?"

"No, not at all. Two weeks after I got my notice, I decided to break her heart and apparently it that part worked out but she hasn't moved on. Now I'll be a father soon and I'm stuck here in this bloody war," Ben sighed at the end. "I'm sorry mate, that's horrible. I have no family of my own so I've got nothing to hold onto," Kit said.

"I've got to go back with my family," Ben said barely audible. Kit patted Ben on the back, "You will, you seem like a strong, confident man. You'll be by their side in no time."

***

*7 months later*

"I've told you to stop wobbling all over the place. You'll burst any day now," Amanda held onto your hand. You grunted as you took a step down from your back porch to walk on the yard, "I'm fine," you deeply inhaled with gritted teeth, "the baby is just rough."

Amanda shook her hand but guided you anyway. "Dear are you sure you should be taking a walk this far into the pregnancy," your mother commented. "She's right darling, it could come out any second now. Look the head is already positioned downward," Wanda pointed to your stomach. "Like I said I'm- ahh!" Your first contraction hit you.

Martin and James had just arrived from work. "We've brought–" James started out but didn't finish as he saw your water broke. "You two go fill the bath," Amanda commanded. Both the men stood still, "Stop being twats and go!" You had a death grip on Amanda's hand, taking timid steps to approach the house again.

"Bath, bath, bath, bath," James hurriedly chanted as he and Martin raced up the stairs. Tom was barely walking in, "What are you two blokes doing running up the stairs?" James was the one who looked back as Martin proceeded to the bath. "B-baby," he stuttered. Tom quirked his brows at him, "Did you just call me baby?" He questioned again as James sped to aid Martin.

Another contraction hit you making you whimper louder in pain than before. Tom heard your cry and went to see where you were. "Y/n!" He howled your name and immediately saw your water broke while Amanda guided you inside. "Come help me take her to the bath!" She commanded once again.

Tom went by your side, and with his help you were able to walk faster. The two men came downstairs. "The bath is ready," Martin said. Amanda felt like strangling both of them, "Why in bloody hell would you prepare it upstairs!?" James and Martin didn't respond. Instead James stool Amanda's spot and Martin helped with anything he could to take you to the bath.

"Wait here," Amanda commanded to the grandparents of the coming baby, "I've delivered babies before." She sped up the stairs and saw you were in the bath. She promptly washed her hands, "Okay Y/n, in going to need you to push."

**

A/n: I know this story sucks.. but I have to finish it, so get ready for some fucking feels