The War (7)

*1 year later*

"Are you sure? I could grab it for you when I go back," Amanda said to you. "It's fine, I need to go back myself," you bounced your baby in your arms. He was falling asleep. "He won't wake up during the time I'm out, but if he does there's formula-" "Darling, we've got it all under control," your mum cut you off. You placed a sleepy James in his crib.

After an hour or so, you walked down the London streets again. The place was in ruins thanks to the air raids but you managed to get through. Your Uni needed you to go back for a few statements and nothing more. You didn't want to make the trip and leave your baby behind, but it was mandatory.

The process was done all in a tedious hour. You collected your things and made your way down to your hold home to collect any mail. Memory after memory raced to you as you walked down the familiar streets. Your mood completely changed once you got to your house.

A group of men were standing at the front door, one turned around and saw you walking there. "Excuse me miss, by any chance do you know where the residents of this home are," he politely questioned. "Yes, they moved away," you didn't claim to be one of the missing residents. "Do you know where they moved to?" He enquired.

"Erm, no. Not at all," you began to walk away. "Miss one more thing. If you ever see them, could you inform them we are looking for Thomas William Hiddleston," they walked to their military car and drove away. You felt your heart sink to the pit of your stomach.

**

"Tom! Tom!" You barged into your house looking for your brother. He was carrying a few drinks, "What's the matter?" You were out of breath, "You need to get out of here, go with Brendon and Sarah. Far away from the UK." Tom was confused, "What? Why?"

"Because they're looking for you too and I won't stand to see my twin brother be taken away. Ben first now you," you hugged your brother. "What do you mean?" He was still looking for answers. "The army is looking for you," your voice shook at the end.

"As in..?" You could see the fear in his eyes. "Yes," you responded. "I can't go with Brendon and Sarah," he said to you. "Why not?" You enquired. Tom walked over to the living room, you were right behind him, "Because they're already here."

Brendon and Sarah both sat on the couch, cooing at your baby. "Y/n!" Brendon cheerfully got up and went to hug you, next was Sarah. "God we missed you so much. You have a gorgeous baby," Sarah firmly embraced you. "Thank you..," you were baffled they were there.

"Aren't you glad to see us?" Brendon questioned. "Of- of course I am, it's just.. I don't think this is the proper time to meet once again," you were feeling overwhelmed. "Of course it is," Brendon put his arm over your shoulder, "I'm an uncle now and my nephew just turned one. We had to come and meet him."

"I know you don't listen to the news, but try to come during the most convenient times. Right now is not one of them, Germany has just invaded Singapore and–" Brendon cut you off, "Y/n, please. We were gone for more than a year. We left before we could say goodbye to Ben. We feel horrible. Sarah and I.. we made a family here. A family we've grown too close to. We only left the first time because Amanda told us you were pregnant, we didn't want to cause any trouble."

You shook your head. "We are staying. Especially now since Japan bombed Pearl Harbor," Brendon said. "The US has joined the war, we are all battling together now," Sarah gently passed you your baby.

****

"I'm so sorry," you cried onto Tom's shoulder; Sarah was doing the same with Brendon. "Please Tom, stay," you begged your brother. "I can't, you know I can't. I'll make sure to speak with Ben and stay close with Urie once we get there," he held you tight. You were a sobbing mess. "Take care of mum for me, and my little nephew. You've got to be strong, do it for me," Tom lightly whimpered into your hair. He departed from the embrace, Brendon was next.

"Why would you do something like this?" You questioned during the hug. "Because I knew since the beginning that Ben was drafted. He made me promise and swear not to tell you so I didn't but I also promised him I would help him get back to you and that's what I'm doing. What a better time then now," he sombrely chuckled at the end.

"Now you have to get Ben, Tom and yourself back home," you hugged him tightly before saying your final goodbye. Your final hug went to Tom again, right before he entered the bulky vehicle.

****

"We've made a request to stay with Benedict Cumberbatch," Tom told a higher post than his. "Come this way," the man led them to a station. "Is Ben really here?" Brendon questioned. The three of them entered a large tent where men sat at tables with beers and some played table games.

The room was filled with talking men. The guy leading Tom and Brendon raised his voice, "I'm looking for Cumberbatch." The room went quite and Ben firmly stood up, "Yes sir?"

"We've got new recruits, these two men were looking for you," the man stepped aside and left the tent. Everyone got back to talking, Ben stood dazed at the sight of Tom and Brendon.

He began to hurriedly walk to them. Ben seemed normal from afar, but once close his bulky muscle became noticeable. "What are you two doing here?" He seemed mad rather than concerned. "Glad to see you too mate," Tom replied. "I would like to greet you back home, not here," Ben walked back to his table but Tom and Brendon followed him.

"Are you going to distance yourself just like you did with Y/n?" Tom questioned. Ben stopped in his tracks, "You know why I did it." Tom shook his head and turned Ben around. "Yes, but I'm not your lover so don't you dare do what you did to my sister," Tom furiously whispered. Ben looked at the two men and hugged them, "You two got yourself in some serious shit."

He departed from the hug and led them to a table. "Kit these are my old mates, Tom and Brendon," Ben sat down in his spot. Kit shook their hands, "Nice to meet you." They sat at a chair and watched Ben write a letter. "Is this all he does back home?" Kit jokingly enquired. "No, he impregnates my sister too," Tom said.

"You got his sister pregnant? And he's still an old mate?" Kit curiously enquired. "Ben gets a bonus point because it's a twin sister," Brendon commented. "Mate were you asking to be killed?" Kit asked towards Ben; he just rolled his eyes.

Ben finished the letter and let the ink dry, "How's James?" Tom and Brendon had gotten a beer, "McAvoy is doing fine, he and Martin are taking care of everyone." Ben sighed, "That's great, but I was talking about my son."

Brendon chuckled. "Oh," Tom said, "He's amazing, healthy, loved, wonderful." Ben's lips curled up, "What about Y/n?" Tom sombrely sighed, "Devastated, hurt, feeling lonely for sure although she's surrounded by people who love her. James keeps her happy, livid, something for her to keep going on every single morning." Ben began to tear up, "And–" he had to clear his throat, "And how about everyone else?"

"Everyone is doing fine, as I said, James is a life saver," Tom went into his pocket and got out a photograph. He handed it to Ben, "That's James and Y/n." Ben's eyes became crimson at the beautiful sight of his family.