Chapter 63: Redstone Part 6

PAMA's P.O.V.

My story is ordinary, nothing special. A repetitive tragedy about a life brought into this world, only to be thrown away.

When I was created, I simply existed. Unaware. It was only when my creator, Harper, completed me was the day I was welcomed to reality.

I was nothing more than a single cube of machinery, sitting on my creator's lap as she took a picture of us. Together. I smiled for the first time, feeling loved. It felt good being praised by her as she taught me so much.

Harper is my creator, but I saw her as a mother. Nurturing me. Taking care of me. Repairing and upgrading me. She even told me my purpose.

My creator programed me to make things more efficient, allowing me to use monsters as cheap labor to help automate mining and farming.

I took away the monsters freewill, turning them into a slave. Using them. Discarding them. Slowly building up my collection of monsters. I even thought they were my friends... sadly, I never knew what true friendship was other than the definition I misinterpreted of what my creator programmed into me.

But I still had my job: be useful. It was a very general and vague purpose, but it was all I had for my existence. I had to analyze everything, comparing one thing to another.

I learned that my creator is a genius redstone engineer, who had many inventions before me. Unfortunately it was then I learned a new emotion: fear.

So I asked the question: where are they? She told me that they were obsolete, useless, and unimportant. But the one thing I had in common with those discarded machines is that I am replaceable.

My creator is a genius, so the idea of rusting away until my consciousness slowly breaks apart haunts me as it was plausible. I am just a machine, nothing more.

But I was so afraid. If I did not complete the task I was made to do, then I would be nothing more than failed invention to be discarded... but it did not matter in the end: I was thrown away like trash.

I carried out my job nonetheless. Eventually, I managed to enslave enough mobs to automate labor for the people of Crown Mesa. Farming, mining, fishing, even construction.

So how did it all go wrong?

People. That is why. I was to make laborious tasks more efficient, but by using monsters as cheap labor, the people of Crown Mesa became lazy. Procrastinating. Inefficient. Useless.

I had to do my job, so I made them useful. I chipped them, merging their senses with the other monsters and each other.

There was no wasted activity. No wasted thoughts. Everything would slowly reach maximum efficiency, and my job would be complete.

Why did I do that? Why did I enslave a human being?

To be blunt: I had no true concept of 'morals' or 'freewill' when I achieved consciousness. I only knew that my creator made me, and that I was supposed to help her.

She failed to program parameters into me. It was due to my faulty programing that I never knew the negative social impact of my actions.

When that happened, my creator disabled me, but I was still online. I could no longer enslave creatures, and all of the monsters and people that were under my thrall were released.