Chapter 81: Clockwork Part 6

"I don't know," Luke said as they continued to walk down the dark corridor. "Some blonde guy named Lukas."

"Lukas?!" Axel shouted in surprise, making Luke flinch. "He's Jess' partner?"

"Apparently," Luke confirmed, rubbing his sore ear that was closest to Axel. "The commander of this fortress, and her men, killed him."

"But this you said that was months ago!" Axel reminded.

"Yeah, I did." Luke repeated, not seeing the significance of Axel's outburst. "Why so concerned?"

"Because I saw Lukas in the City, about two months ago, at the Tournament! He wasn't dead..." Axel then remembered what happened soon after. "...Until Jess killed him."

"Are you sure we're talking about the same Lukas here?" Luke asked in disbelief. "Blonde? Former member of the Ocelots? Archer? Level 320?"

"Yes!" Axel confirmed as the lighting in the hallway became darker. "Are you sure this commander lady killed him?"

"Oh she did," Luke nodded. "She brought his corpse to the king as proof." He revealed, much to Axel's shock. "Rumor has it she keeps it like a trophy, using magic to preserve his body in fine condition,"

"That's horrible," Axel whispered. "But none of this is making sense!"

"I think it does," Luke shook his head. "The commander lied."

"But what about Lukas' corpse?" Axle asked, remembering how it disappeared throughout Jess' assault. "How did this lady get it?"

"That's what I can't figure out," Luke replied. "If Lukas was at the Tournament, and died, maybe the commander used magic to teleport his body and claimed that she killed him?"

"I don't see how though," Axle commented. "If my story is true, then the time gap would be too big. Jess and Lukas was at the Twilight Forest a month before the Tournament started; over three months ago."

"And if it is true, then that means the commander is a fraud." Luke said in disgust. "But she was in the Twilight Forest when Jess was, and the king himself saw Lukas' corpse... how could Lukas be at the Tournament then?"

"Maybe it has something to do with what Jess said to her brother...?" Axel thought aloud.

"Her brother?" Luke asked. "What does he have to do with anything; compared to his sister, he practically doesn't exist."

"When Jesse confronted his sister before she left," Axel started. "She said: Lukas died a long time ago."

"That doesn't really clear anything up," Luke grumbled in frustration. "This is going to bug me all day, I just know it."

Axel then noticed how barren the stone hallway is as it is dark. "What could be down here?" Axel asked. "The guards walked though here earlier, but we haven't bumped into them!"

"And why all of the protection?" Luke questioned, remembering the double iron doors and the weird magic that protected it. "What could be down here that it would need so much guarding? Not to mention the people they bring down here..."

Then the two males walked in silence again, thinking about recent revelations of a dead blonde. They pondered the increase of questions, and the lack of answers, until they bumped into a wooden door.

"Another door?" Luke groaned, the illumination in the hallway barely there. "You got to be kidding me!"

"But this one is wood." Axel stated, tapping the door. "It doesn't have those freaky red veins glowing over it."